• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copying ALL files, whats the best way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

OK, I wanna make a new Windows Partition, actually a whole new one. Thing is, I wanna keep: My Documents, any desktop files, Program Files/Directories, basicly EVERYTHING except the OS itself and the drivers, is that possible? BTW I'm using WinXP Pro.

Here's my method SO FAR:

1-Create New Partiton (7GB) for all of my files/folders
2-Copy All of my stuff from the main partition, to this temporary one
3-Kill the Main partition
4-Create a new Partition and make a fresh windows install
5-Transfer everything from the temporary partition to the new XP install

Now my question is, whats the best way to Transfer everything from the Main Partition, to the temporary one?

When I copied 7 gigs of stuff from one partion to the other I just did cut and paste. It took a while but it worked.

LOL sounds like it would work to me, I got time, I guess I'll do that

That way will work to a point. All your registry entries for your programs will be gone though. Some will still work from the executable but others will not without reinstalling.

Rbreb13 said:
That way will work to a point. All your registry entries for your programs will be gone though. Some will still work from the executable but others will not without reinstalling.

LOL oopsies, forgot entirely about the registry.

Well, I guess I'll just start my directories from scratch then, since I'll have most of the installation files anyway.

Back