• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 - Pickiest mobo ever? Read if you dare...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

So the VT7 died and I got an AI7 to replace it. Bring it home, have it running for a day and a half, all is well. Day 3 BAM no post. So I mess with EVERYTHING... Can't get it to post at all. Take it back to Fry's and they boot it right up with a PCI no name video card, 512 of mushkin value, and a 2.4GHz P4.

I tell them I'm not going home with that board, and that I want a new one, and they oblige. Get home, set everything back up, booting up and posting after every thing I add. After I add my 2nd stick of Kingston Hyper X, it won't post, so I'm like AH HA i found the lil bugger.

Take out the first stick of RAM, leave the 2nd and no post again, just for good measure.
Take out the second stick, replace with the first... NO POST AGAIN!!!
Right here I pull out some hair.
Go to my dad's computer and pull out 2 512 sticks of working kingston value and NEITHER STILL WILL POST...
Right here I pull out some more hair.

So now I'm ultra-stumped... do I need to buy new RAM? Abit's site states that Kingston is supported... what do I do?

-EDIT-
And the post code reads 83 and then 90, and then doesn't change.

Last edited:
your getting one with a post code man, those are horrible they are the pickiest things ever (i had that board before) get the VT7 V2.0 (VIA PT880) but its cheaper $70 a frys you'll be happy with it. (just no firewire)

I have a question... have you tried clearing the CMOS by taking out the CMOS battery and moving the jumper?

I had an issue similar to this when I first got my mobo and freaked... unplugged the mobo, and moved the jumper, but didn't take the battery out. LOL, silly me. Anyways, after taking the battery out and THEN moving the jumper to clear the CMOS and not replacing the battery until I put the jumper back, everything was fine.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I figured it out though. I had 2 too many brass standoffs behind it and it was shorting out... wierd that it worked for a day or so though.

Nickds7: I just upgraded from the VT7, it was a pretty good board, however it didn't have AGP/PCI frequency locks, so it was virtually un-overclockable. (Though on this new mobo, my temps are too high for me to even think about OCing. :bang head )

Thanks for takin a look at my problem though guys... :)

mdameron said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys... I figured it out though. I had 2 too many brass standoffs behind it and it was shorting out... wierd that it worked for a day or so though.
I seen that before :shrug: .. i had to the the opposite and downgrade oh well atleast i have my processor oc'd

Its a wicked board for regular Northwoods and some Winbond BH-5 memory(not good for prescott overclocking, known fact), turn the Vdimm up some.

I get no post what so ever with my mushkin, until the Vdimm is raised to 2.8v

If you need power for your prescott, the IS7 is thought to be better, and then the IC7 is king in the Abit range.

Last edited:
I have both boards, the IS7 and IC7, I would buy the IC7 due to is faster fsb..

but IS7 is pretty stable and if you wanna just hit 4ghz wiht your precotts ...

Back