• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I go to sleep, wake up, find like 30 "My Computers" active!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VerizonDSL_Tech

Registered
I have a wierd problem that I don't think many people have encountered. This problem only occurs when I leave my computer for a long period of time, so usually when I'm asleep. I wake up, and find about 30 "My Computer" windows open on the desktop. They're just opening up by themselves overnight! Drives me nuts. We can definately rule out the possibility that it may be a virus of spyware. My computer never has spyware (except the occasional tracking cookie, which you can't avoid). Been going on for the past couple months. The programs I have running in the background are:
VNC, Lexmark, Mouse, Spybot, Automate, Minimizer-XP, Roboform, Download Accelerator Plus, DynAdvance Notifier, Roxio Drag-to-Disk, ZoneAlarm, Internet connection, ATI, Avant Browser.
Any ideas?

Got a cat? Bet he's sleeping on the keyboard!

Otherwise, I don't see any antivirus software listed. I would boot into safe mode with networking and do an online Panda scan or something.

Actually, ZoneAlarm is my Anti-virus scanner. It's the ZoneAlarm suite. I have it automatically scan the system every few days overnight.
Also, I have no pets :)

Might want to try AVG, I have the same thing as you and so far the ZA antivirus has not done me well. No kids then either? Is it My Computer with the browse window open on the side, or just My Computer showing the drivers.

It's the the "Explorer" if that's what you're asking. It's the standard My Computer with the blue panel on the left.
I doubt ZoneAlarm has much to do with this. I've been using it for years... This problem started recently. ZoneAlarm seems to work well for me.

No, it's not the same one that comes up when you hit the Windows key+E. That brings up Windows Explorer. What I see when I wake up is what you see when you open the My Computer icon on the desktop.

Poltergeist? :shrug:

Any scheduled tasks active?

Presumably you sleep at night, if you left your computer running during the day does it still happen?

Apart from that I would try to disable one of those running applications and see if it stops. If not then disable a different one.

:shrug:

Interesting...

There's a possibility somebody has gotten your password for your VNC server and is just screwing around. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a viral infection. Try AVG Free edition (still available at Majorgeeks.com) or try TrendMicro's online virus scanner to see if you really are infection free.

i find the program tune-up 2004 very helpful. u should dl the free tiral version and see what programs u have started and if u see something with a wierd name its prolly a virus thats causing this program.

Back