• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot from WinXP Installation CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Alright, when I had my Epox board for s754, on POST it detected my CD-ROM just fine, now I have a DFI nF3gb and it doesn't list the CD-ROM when I press ESC to go to the bootable options menu thingy. THe option to boot first from the CD-ROM is in BIOS, but that didn't work either.

Funny thing is, Windows XP itself (already on the comp) can see the disk, and even auto-ran it.

I need to get this disk working cause I want to make a fresh windows install.

Guess my first stab would be to verify the jumper on the drive is set correctly (and even make sure it matches the master/slave connections on the ide cable). Could also be a flakey ide cable, have had that happen too.

Sometimes the cd can go bad and simply lose the ability to be bootable even though the data is availiable when in an os. I'm pretty sure, Microsoft will replace the cd for a legitimate license key.

I have latest BIOS, jumper is correct, dunno bout bad CD.

I know this is a dumb question but I have done this.....Do you have your bios setup to boot from cd first. Sometimes you can press an F-key to select the voot device also....

Back