• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how exactly is memory ocing done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coaiti

Registered
and what type of RAM can be oced....I saw these sandra benchmarks of some guy who had oced his memory so that the bandwidth was equivalent to that of a p4.

coaiti said:
and what type of RAM can be oced....I saw these sandra benchmarks of some guy who had oced his memory so that the bandwidth was equivalent to that of a p4.

You increase your motherboard's Front Side Bus (FSB) speed. Doing so makes your RAM work harder (Overclocking).

Some motherboards allow you to change FSB speeds through a series of DIP switches, some let you do it through BIOS, some let you use both methods.

Increasing your FSB speed also increases CPU speed, and as such, is the easiest and safest way to overclock (If any overclocking method could be concidered safe).

some chipsets have a option to add 33MHz onto the sped of the memory, the 815 does and i think the KT133 does as well, this means if you have a slow fsb then you mcan make the memory run faster to improve speed of the cpu

Yeah your talking about adding the PCI clock to the FSB clock. Effectively if your running at 100FSB your memory runs at 133Mhz (100Mhz+33Mhz).

If you upped your FSB to 110Mhz though your would not be running your RAM at 143Mhz...

110Mhz +
(110 / 3 = 36.666Mhz) =

146.67Mhz

See the difference. The miscalculation can be quite fatal if you are at high FSB speeds.

When overclocking ram, heatspreaders help a little and if your mobo supports it, extra voltage to the ram. Voltage always helps overclocking but it generates more heat. Just make sure you have the means to dissipate that heat or your components will quickly die.

Back