• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just ordered 1 gig of ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
768 megs of generic ecc pc100, cas 3, 8ns ram was just not cutting it.

i just ordered 1 gig of crucial pc133, cas 2, 7.5ns ram. hell it was only $130. Two years ago I spent $150 for 128 megs of ram.

next week i'm going for 1333 on my p3 1000e.

i'm using win2k. i do graphics. use to do a lot more stuff but i've been busy with other crap.

Ebola said:

i just ordered 1 gig of crucial pc133, cas 2, 7.5ns ram. hell it was only $130. Two years ago I spent $150 for 128 megs of ram.

Where did you find 1 GB of pc133 SDRAM at cas 2? I'm looking on www.crucial.com and I can only find 1 GB of that RAM at cas 3.

get ddr board

spending that much money on just sdrram is poitless you would be better off buying a cheap ddr board ie (an ecs)and then getting say 512MB of pc 2100 ram. this would perform considerably better than 1 gig of sdram also you will be able to get palominos in the future for this board.

hmmm$133 for sdram or

$133 for ddr + $120 for a comparable amd chip +$150 amd motherboard+ $50 good heatsink+ $50 for a network card since mine is isa. +$120 when the amd chip dies+ $70 for a bigger psu.

do the math

Yeah, I agree. RAM is cheap, motherboards are not. If he's got a P3 1 GHz that's a dang fine CPU that shouldn't need to be upgraded for a while....

4x256 though? I would have gone 2x512.... but that's just me.

SickBoy

yea i would have gone 512x2 but my motherboard only takes up to 256. i have an abit bx6 2.

LOL... I remember when I spent $130 on a 4MB SIMM of 80ns Fast Page Memory. Yeah, baby, My 486DX/33 @ 40Mhz could run Doom without a boot disk once I had 8MB of RAM... hehe.
Oh dear... I realize I've been overclocking for WAY too long...
Remember when a watercooling consisted of cutting the wrench lug off of a 4 inch PVC endcap, putting barbs in it, epoxy and siliconing it directly to the chip and running water directly over your Pentium MMX chip??? Did that too...
Peace
John

Element-Xero said:
what does it matter if you have to buy all that stuff? You are already almost 29 grand in debt! :D

i'm trying to work my way out of debt. :confused:

I see you've knocked another 400 bucks off of it tho... :-D
I don't even wanna find out how in debt I am... hmmm... 15K for the Car, 3K in Credit Cards, 1K to the IRS, 10K to the Loan Shark blah blah blah.. hehe... :D Good Luck senor!
Peace
John

'Getting out of debt is even harder than quitting smoking, crack and heroin in the same week, but the rewards last a lifetime. Oh, and don't start crack or heroin, they're easier to kick that way.'

I would suggest you install more than 1 ram module,If you seek 1 gig of ram you are better off with 2,512 meg modules.

Some may disagree but from my reading on this topic,I have found that the processor will send a command to 1 and immeditly send a command th the second module thus reducing latency.The return of that command will also follow this rule.

From the articles I researched {wish I had a scanner to input them}this usage of ram is a default carry over from the early days of computers,because the early modles had a very limited amount of resources in booth ram and processor speed.So to manage memoru usage it was decided the processor would use ram in this way.

So this is my understading and why I suggest U get 2 512 modules,,,,ALSO if someone has the opposite opinion of what I am stating please link us to it,What I have to go by is on paper and not from a web site.

Back