• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have to delete partitions to re-install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckbadly

Right now I have 2 raptors in raid-0 with a 6 gig partition for the operating system and a 60 gig for throwing programs on. I also have a 200 gig drive for storage. So it's C,D and E. If I use windows pe to reformat with a fresh install, do I have to delete the partions or can I just format say the C, and D partions and then install windows on the C again? I just reread that and it sounds confusing but I think I did it on my other pc..but I didn't have a 3rd drive for storage...just 2 20 gigs partioned the same way as this one. I'm trying to get out of deleting the partions and making new ones cause I'm not real good with it :eh?: Just let me know if this makes no sense :p

another quick question..when I run everest...it says my drives are UDMA 6 supported(ATA-133), but the active mode is UDMA 5(ATA-100)..how can I get them to be 6...would there be much performance gain in doing this?

Nope, leave your C drive and install windows there. For all my rigs, my friends/family and some clients I always set Windows on C: and everything else on D: so that when/if they crash Windows I can reinstall without losing any data.

You will, of course need to do the F6 thing and install the RAID drivers via floppy drive. Windows setup should then see the partitions and you can format/install on C:.

Thanks Wedo...thats what I was thinkin just wasn't sure. TranceBear...what details ya need?

Back