• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about FedEx.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

Don't exactly know where this post belongs... so here goes; do FedEx people work during the night to process shipments? Just wondering because I'm dying of pain from lacking a power supply and a video card in my main computer.

yeh id say 24 hour working besides saterday and sunday unless you overnight it.
most updates tho tend to happen in the mornings ive noticed if your tracking it on the website.

Most shipping companies are a 24 hour operation with reduced weekend time. Night time is usually when your package is riding on a trailer or flying across the country.

They work 7 days a week. Saturday's and Sunday's do not count as days of the week unless Saturday service is specified/paid for. Most individual stations are closed on Sunday, but the larger hubs are operational. That is something many people forget. If something gets shipped early Friday it would count as the first day of service, if it's received by Fed-Ex late in the day on Friday then the first day of service would not start until Monday. Although it may enter the system and show as being in another state, it does not count towrds their commitment. Another thing people forget is that when your shipment is "Express Saver" or similar, they have commit dates/times. They will not go out of their way to deleiver it if they do not have to. So for instance if the package was shown as being on truck for deleivery a day early and didn't arrive, it's because the driver has you last on his list and knows that he doesn't "have to" make the deleivery until the next day. My wife worked at Fed-Ex in the office for 5 years and i've been over this at least 1 million times with her. She explains it a lot better than i do, but when you get the real story it makes a lot more sense as to why they don't always seem consistent.

Another thing to note, the system they use for tracking is completly different than the system the employees use. Countless times i've had my wife track a package for me at the Fed-Ex office and she can give me many more details/updates that you will never get on Fed-Ex.com

Hope that answers some of your questions :)

We all get mad at shipping companies from time to time, but you need to remember they are human like you. I'm so glad my wife left that place, she would come home every night in a bad mood after dealing with customers. They complain when you don't leave it at the door, and they complain if you do. They get all ****y because they aren't home in the day to sign for a package, but lets not forget that Fed-Ex also operated during business hours. If you need something i suggest having it sent to your business, a place where you know someone is home, or have it held at the station for pickup. Enough ranting about it, just pained me to hear the stories she told me. Everyone's package is an emergency in their eyes, just plain stupid :rolleyes:

Funny, the next time I have a bad experience with FedEx, will be my first! The ONLY irregularity I have with FedEx, they almost never seem to get my packages delivered on time! If they aren't 1 day early, they are 2 days early!

Now UPS,...

Let's just say, If I voiced my true opinion about UPS, I would be banned!

Quickly!

steve

Yeah, i've had the same overall experiences as well.

You ready for the Padres to spank the D-Backs skou :)

I'll be there for at least 3 games, hopefully can make it to all 4 games. Go Padres!

I wasn't complaining about the service. I appreciate what they do, and thank you, Sucka, for your information. Heh. skou, how's UPS bad, if I may ask? I thought they did very well delivering my plastic models from Japan in less than a week.

tracking is absolute crud, usually even on like a 5 day shipment ill get 5 updates the 1st day then none till the day its being delivered. id just look at the estimated delivery and live with that.

my theory on shipping is this, if I order something over $200, ill overnight it just for the fact if im already spending a good amount of money who cares abotu the shipping cost. anything less than $100 ill express saver, anything between I 2-day.

Sucka said:
Yeah, i've had the same overall experiences as well.

You ready for the Padres to spank the D-Backs skou :)

I'll be there for at least 3 games, hopefully can make it to all 4 games. Go Padres!

Yep, spanked them last night!!

D-backs, 6 Padres, 0!! :D

Look for a repeat, tonight!

steve

Schalldampfer said:
I skou, how's UPS bad, if I may ask? I thought they did very well delivering my plastic models from Japan in less than a week.

About 2 years ago, I was given a t-shirt, by ABIT Computer. It came in a video card sized box, from a well known video card maker. There were 2 Post-It note pads, with ABIT logo on them, in the box, as well.

By the time the box arrived, it had been completely crushed, beyond any recognition. The notepads were completely ruined. The t-shirt was OK, but it is made out of cotton, and survived being crushed. The box, by the time I first saw it, was softer than the t-shirt.

Had there been a video card, in that video card box...

There have been others;

3 weeks ago, I recieved 3 different packages, from 3 different people, on 3 different consecutive days. They had tracking on all of them, and came from the eastern half of the US. They ALL arrived, within 1/2 hour, at the Phoenix airport. (Means they came in on the same airplane!) They rode the same truck to Tempe. (tracking had them at the same time) BUT, I got them on 3 consecutive days. (They made 3 trips to my house, instead of one!)

FedEx, when they get a package in locally, I get it the next business day. REGARDLESS AS TO WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DELIVERED! If a box arrives on a 5 AM airplane, I get it that day.

UPS, if a package shows up in Tempe, 3 days before it's delivery day, it will sit in the warehouse, until delivery day, even if they have another package for me, delivered that day.

steve

wow that sucks, I have 2 packages from ups due today weather or not they come on the same truck, illl let you know, they are also guaranteed by 3pm, so we'll see if that happens since its already 1:30pm.

I like fedex. They almost always deliver a day early. Sometiems even more than that. I'm not a fan of UPS at all. I think this is probably a local thing, some distribution centers are better than others.

FedEx, when they get a package in locally, I get it the next business day. REGARDLESS AS TO WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE DELIVERED! If a box arrives on a 5 AM airplane, I get it that day.

Fedex will put a package on a truck for delivery to me and if it is not due that day the driver will not deliver it. It really depends on where your located, not what shipper you use.

skou said:
Yep, spanked them last night!!

D-backs, 6 Padres, 0!! :D

Look for a repeat, tonight!

steve

That was brutal to watch :bang head

This is a huge series. At least LA lost last night :D

Go Padres!

laynlow said:
Fedex will put a package on a truck for delivery to me and if it is not due that day the driver will not deliver it. It really depends on where your located, not what shipper you use.

You're very correct. I stated that earlier in this thread. I know at my wife's old station that was very common practice. The drivers actually have to perform at a certain level to keep their jobs, Fed-Ex is pretty cut throat at times. The drivers come in at all different hours of the evening because of where their routes are. They have to make their commits before they can come back into the station, so you better bet your bottom they aren't going to go out of their way to get someone a package a day early. Consider yourself lucky if that does happen, ussually means they were ahead of schedule, or in the area.

Sucka said:
That was brutal to watch :bang head

This is a huge series. At least LA lost last night :D

Go Padres!

We're gonna git you, Sucka!!

(Do you realize how LONG I have been waiting to say that?:D)

steve

Back