• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD when booting from win2K cd?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
ok i have this DFI/OCZ/Venice setup and things were working just fine (for a while) and then the memory went bad...(DFI forum LINK)

so i get the RMA mem back and install my G5 WB

it boots up just fine for a few times and then starts BSODing 3/4 through loading windows.... :mad:

ok, so maybe i corrupted windows (how i dont know)...time for a clean reinstall (i guess)...boot from CD (win 2K SP2 "full disk") starts to load windows (says "starting windows 2000") ...BSOD!!

this setup has been on "default" settings and many many other saved (stable) BIOS settings..."boots" and runs memtest for hours with no errors....

ive tried just about everything i know (cleared CMOS, swapped mem, 1 or 2 sticks, just the SATA HD, just the IDE HD, etc etc) and am @ a loss right now...any suggestions/thoughts? :shrug:

thanks for the help

PS ive had a PC since win95 came out and maintain 26 PC (P2P network) @ work... ive seen A LOT and done A LOT but do not have "formal schooling" on the subject

I am gonna have to watch this, I have a rig that is doing the same thing. Started right after changing Motherboards. The old board it runs fine on, BSOD on new, but the new board will run linux, windows NT, and will load win2k only if installed onto another hard drive. but use all the origional parts and then No-Go.

well, i have 2x HD's (1 install on each) 1 (ATA) Raptor, 1 (IDE) WD....i just cant believe that BOTH went....
and shouldnt booting off CD remove "bad drives" from the list of boot problems?

come-on guys i KNOW somebody has some idea.....

GRRRR now @ work my PC (stock 2100 Paly 512 Mushkin GREEN line :rolleyes: ) cant get on the internet....i ran the new(er) Ad-Aware and now i get some ccapp.exe error (its a norton anti-V mail checking program) reinstall norton and do a repair windows (@ least THAT one boots of CD) and still NO net. i can network to all other PC, open folders off their C: but not get on the net or to this one printer...but i can run CPUZ off that PC's drive :shrug: ) how the hell am i going to turn in/get FOLDing WUs if i cant get it on the net?!!!!

im about to crack....i'm starting to hate PC's.... :mad:

Last edited:
Re: the BSOD error messages you're receiving, the "Technical Information" (or Stop: Error at the bottom of the BSOD) is very important, as the "Stop Hex Code" can be looked up on the MSKB. Near the top of the BSOD you'll usually see a Stop Error, something along the lines of PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (0x0000004E) or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (0x00000050)...so if you didn't write down the Hex Code (the first part of the Code, as I've shown in parenthesis), at least write down the Stop Error. The Stop Error translates to a Hex Code and vice versa...so writing down both isn't absolutely necessary, but may be helpful in trying to diagnose your problem.

In addition, you may want to SS SP4 and the new Update Rollup 1 into your install of W2K...since the newer SP has better support for newer hardware as compared to SP2.

Last edited:
right on

i ripped the whole thing out of the case and set it up in "testing" mode (on the floor)
booted about 3x times and still got BSOD...after work i will write down what it says

THANKS!!

write it down...ya right...

pict02568ya.jpg

stopped by a store and picked up a new POS HD...

B4 i try this new HD, i unplugged both the HDs and booted off the CD....booted up ok

so one way or the other, the HD still has a chance to screw you up even if you boot off CD. (proud member of the school of hard knox :bang head )

if this is the first time you've seen this...
your REALLY lucky!

great info!! THANKS!!

this is the first time i have been bit in the a$$ by going NTFS vs FAT32...

ill make the boot diskettes here @ work and hopefully get it up and running tonight/weekend.
(can i make the disks off another PC and use them on any other?)

that "bad" HD is real BAD mojo!! even if i plug it in with a 2nd IDE cable and jumper it to slave, it BSOD's a working setup...hope the diskettes can "over power" it...

maybe its just me, but i have NEVER corrupted a HD, as bad or as often, as i have with this DFI (NF4) setup... :shrug:

Last edited:
You can also access the Recovery Console by booting to your W2K disk...

Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229716
Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair, and then press C (Windows 2000 only) to start the Windows Recovery Console. Select the appropriate number for the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then type the administrator password. If the administrator password does not exist, just press ENTER.
Can i make the disks off another PC and use them on any other?
To answer your question, YES you can...but you'll need a W2K CD in order to access the Makeboot.exe tool from the Bootdisk folder of the disk.

How To Create Setup Boot Disks for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197063

Last edited:
Back