• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed with options for HDD in P5WD2 Premium BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d.chatten

I have the above motherboard and i have enabled AHCI in the bios for my SATA HDD's under the "IDE Configuration" menu but there is another option that shows up when AHCI has been enabled called ALPE and ASP which is set to disabled by default.
The manual says this about it, "Allows you to enable or disable the Agressive Link Power Management (ALPE) and Agressive Slumber/Partial (ASP) management features. Configuration options: [Disable] [Enable]" but what are these options for and what will happen if i enable this in the bios.

I have two SATA Western Digital Raptors 74GB and two SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80GB HDD's if it is any help, and i have enabled AHCI so i can add a SATAII HDD later with the least amount of fuss.

Serial ATA Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI)

Aggressive Link Power Management (ALPE):

This technology allows for enhancing the bandwidth for high-bandwidth applications and devices. SATA native command queuing, and more aggressive power management with HD Audio provides better audio support both in audio quality and bandwidth support queuing. This technology works from BIOS (BASIC In and Out Subsystem) and DMI (Desktop Management Interface) to provide theoretically high-bandwidth access to system memory.

Agressive Slumber/Partial (ASP):

Aggressive Slumber/ Partial features are necessary for support of Hot-Swap devices and are only accessible in AHCI mode but remember that enabling these settings in the BIOS does not mean that Hot-Swap will work since this feature also needs to be supported by the SATA device (drive) itself.

Enabling these features will only be beneficial if the devices being used accesses the features functions.

R

Back