• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clocked1

Registered
I'm upgrading my main box again and the (2) 256 meg Crucial 2100 cas2 sticks aren't going to cut it anymore. I've not been able to get the crucial above a 147fsb at 2.9V with 8882222 timings without errors at any multiplyer..

Has anybody reached higher FSB's with anything on an Epox 8k7a+, if so where can I get some "better" memory? I was thinking some 2400 mushkin, or corsair.. Is there anything better?

Crucial uses Micron chips for starters...just the high quality ones.

You could try some PC2400 rated Corsair memory. Believe it's the XMS (?) series. It's a bit expensive though, as is any memory rated at PC2400. You WILL get your 150MHz (possibly more) out of it though.

Check Pricewatch as they have alot of vendors selling PC2400 memory of different brands and prices. Just don't buy into the generic cheap stuff.

Might want to wait until the PC2700 makes its way into the market (if it ever does)...that's what I'm doing.

I run my Crucial PC2100 at 174fsb (8882622) on my Epox 8K7A+ at 2.9v, this is with one stick 256meg with pci cards installed. At 172 fsb (8882622) I can run 2 sticks of Crucial. My Corsair PC2400 only went to 172 fsb with one stick. My memory never get hot at 2.9v, in a KG7 I run the Crucial at 3v ddr.

You might wanna try it with the voltage a bit lower...I'm guessing that you're generating entirely too much heat for those poor little RAM modules to handle.

Actually with the voltage lower I'm not even able to get the 147. It boots and loads windows 2k at 157fsb but it's not stable, and mem diagostic programs show all kinds of problems if I go above 147.

It's possiblle (unlikely) that I just have a dud for a tbird. I've tried for a higher fsb with a naked sysyem: no pci cards, usb disabled, etc.. If my prob is just a dud cpu that won't run with the higher fsb's I'll know soon enough because I have a palomino, and a vapochill coming. I'll try this memory with my new stuff but I'm leaning towards some 2400 just so I can push the limit.. :)

sweeeet!

I found my problem.. :) Crucial isn't so bad afterall, now I'm just another one of the many happy Crucial Customers!

I was able to borrow some mushkin 2400 from a friend today and got it installed only to still be stuck below 147fsb. After pulling the mushkin I took a closer look at the mem slot and found the problem, one of the conacts that touches the ram was missing! A quick hack job on an old 486 MB and some solder and now my crucial 2100 can go to 165 FSB!! Since my board already has a few slight mods to it warranty work was out of the question. I'll be replacing the entire slot when the new one comes, but until then my jury rigged solution has dramatically improved my system performance!

Back