• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How safe is it flashing with "Flashmenu"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

werdz

Yo guys I have an abit as8 was wondering how easy and safe is it to flash it to the latest bios? Iam scared it will get messed up in the process, need some directions etc.. :)

I did it on my old Abit board, AMD type, I have tried using that with my aa8xe and it never got passed that kept telling me the bios was locked. But make sure you close every program and do not do anything why the bios is flashing and restart when it tells you to. You'll be fine.

Yep, to confirm what everyone else said, it's pretty safe and easy using the FlashMenu program. I always download my undated BIOS file first, so I point the program to the file manually. Always drop down to default speed if you are currently overclocked. Don't attempt to flash the BIOS during a thunderstorm or anytime that might allow a power interuption or surge. I've used FlashMenu a couple dozen times on at least 5 different Abit mobos. Works like a charm.

Also downclock!!! Anytime you flash a BIOS it's risky. Saying that, it's something that must be done. You need to be aware that anything that could cause a rebbot, BSOD, crash, windows error or anything else of that nature needs to be fixed. Downclocking is a very wise thing to do. If any instability were to rear it's ugly head during the flash you will have to replace the BIOS chip. I had to do that one time on a board back mnay years ago. I was a real pain. I had no work around, and was dead in the water until the BIOS chip got there. The cause? nobody knows. The BIOS just got corrupted somehow. The chip itself could have been bad.

Laways mitigate any risk of a shutdown. Needless to say this is not a good thing to be doing with thunderstorms in the area. :)

I've used flash menu numerous times and had zero problems with it. Much easier than booting with a floppy!

I used it once on my IC7-Max3 and it worked perfectly.

The only thing you should think about before flashing is "Is there any reason my system might not perform PERFECTLY in the next few minutes?". The program is writing to the BIOS chip, so you can not interrupt that, if you do you might kill the board. So check software and hardware to make sure you will be perfectly stable for the next few minutes. And don't accidently bump the computer. :)

Back