• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 minute pause after Windows boots up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VerizonDSL_Tech

Registered
I'm sure many have encountered this, and I think it's an issue with the careless programming of WinXP...
After installing a fresh copy of Windows XP, it always takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes before I'm able to do most actions of Windows XP, such as establish a connection to the Internet or go to System Properties. It just sits there, not loading anything. I've installed Windows XP hundreds of times in the past on many computers, and it happens every single time. However, after some usage for a few days and installation of drivers/utilities/programs, eventually the problem goes away. I know it's a certain thing that has to be installed on the system to trigger it not to do that anymore, but I don't know what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
I use virtual machines a lot and I don't install any programs on it, so it's always taking like 3 minutes before I can do anything in WinXP. Just sits there and does nothing for 2 minutes.

check eventvwr.msc.

could be an app that is just hanging/not responding, or a service.

I'm assuming you've already done a spyware/virii scan?

unchecked all programs starting up in msconfig -> startup?

Is it your wireless network that takes a long time? I'm always up and going about 10 seconds after I see the desktop, no complaints here. HOWEVER, my computer has been on about 30 minutes now, and my wireless network icon in the system tray still says 'acquiring network address'.... and here i am posting LOL :)

-EDIT-
And yes, go to msconfig--->startup and knock it down to the bare essentials... makes for a nice poppy machine...

Nah, this is a completely different issue, where it occurs only after a fresh installation of WinXP, then it goes away after a while.
Anyhoo, after further investigation and with the help of some dudes over at tomshardware.com, I concluded it was the NIC card causing it. While attempting to retrieve an IP address, it halts the system during that process, since I'm using a WinXP PPPoE dialer (dynamic IP). Creating a PPPoE connection within a router or non-bridged modem seems to fix the issue, since it allows the NIC card to instantly pull in the IP address which the router/modem has already assigned.

Back