• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me with shared folder security

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

okay, i have XP pro SP2, and i have disabled simple file sharing. i want to setup a folder that is shared. I want to have 2 different logon's to it, one that can edit files, and on that can only read.

I have setup the share with permissions that one has full, and one can only read. I am then accessing it from other XP/2K/2K3 machines on my network. i have also removed the permissions for all others except these 2 users (one of them, that can edit, is my primary logon to laptop).

i then go to another computer and access my laptop. It works, and it asks for a password. I enter the user and i can read my files and edit them. great. I then close the windows. if i reopen them, it stays logged on as the admin user that can edit.

is there a way to force others accessing my shared drives to ALWAYS enter a logon, even if they accidentally close the window, and reopen it?

Mike

EDIT: also if i change the user permissions, if the computer that i was test connecting with says "you dont have permission" and doesnt ask for a user name. it seems that windows is chaching this somewhere, and always using it, is that a way to change that so it doesnt cache?

Last edited:
Back