• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integrity? Honor? A flawed system!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think we need to use our fingers more wisely when typing, discussing racism or politics or other things not allowed here. These companies do NOT care about Joe Blow not hitting 2-2-2 @ 270 with his UTT, they're trying to run a business, not make sure we all have sub 30s superpi 1mb runs.

Well I think this speaks volumes about the quality of this forum and also so of the man who started the thread, Reefa_Madness. Integrity and honor are not lost qualities, but they do seem to be rare attributes. It is nice to participate in a forum that demands and enforces a high standard of conduct. The level of civility here is unlike any forum I have visited. Kudos to Reefa and the OC Forum!:thup: :thup:

This isnt the half of it. You would be wholly suprised at what goes on, not with us but *certian* venders and websites websites. People demanding payment in order to give favorable reviews, pay for adds etc etc. As much as people would like to blame it on "them" in reality it is those who run such site that are to blame.

Companies in addition will even pay websites off to prevent their competitors from advertising there *caugh*Corsair*caugh*

We honestally feel that reviews are best dont with the end-user in mind since that is our target market. This is partly why we have scaled back considerably in terms of active advertisement on webistes for that very reason. The corruption is absolutly astounding.

Last edited:
Reefa I want you to see an Email that we recieved concerning undisclosed vender(s):

Hi XXXXX,

I was just speaking with our OCZ rep the other day and they say that Mushkin was recently bought out by another company and that it's not stable. They've also adjusted their prices to make it more competitive than what you have offered us.

So, I had to halt our web folks from listing Mushkin products and am in the process of evaulating OCZ memory products.

Thanks for contacting us and keeping us in mind for your sales. Let us know if you can come down on prices.

XXXX
*WE* bought the company back *from* ramtron. In addition, now that we are free from them are able to innovate at our pace, not theirs.... gotta love marketing. Making up utter falsehoods to make a buck. Real nice :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sentential said:
This isnt the half of it. You would be wholly suprised at what goes on, not with us but *certian* venders and websites websites. People demanding payment in order to give favorable reviews, pay for adds etc etc. As much as people would like to blame it on "them" in reality it is those who run such site that are to blame.

Companies in addition will even pay websites off to prevent their competitors from advertising there *caugh*Corsair*caugh*

We honestally feel that reviews are best dont with the end-user in mind since that is our target market. This is partly why we have scaled back considerably in terms of active advertisement on webistes for that very reason. The corruption is absolutly astounding.

Of course, the prime motivator (or one of them) of starting a website IS income. THG, one of the extreme examples of corruption, once admitted that they were really only in it for the money. Wave 50K in front of somebody, and they do interesting things. Tell your buddies that you got 50K for "favorable reviews," and they will actively try to lobby for the same.

Bottom line, others can't be trusted, especially the big ones (Anand, THG, HardOCP) because often their sole purpose is gain. The reviews are relative indicators at best and have mostly degraded to entertainment for me (THG the most shining example).

This has happened and still does with print media, why do people think it's any different online?

HousERaT said:
Interesting this would make front page news. One of my fellow forum mates Reefa_Madness created a thread with this very topic in mind. For those who don't frequent the memory section you might want to give it a read.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=397052&page=1&pp=30

Here is the article from the SGOverclockers website.

Perhaps forums are no safe haven from the beast either?
Is there a frontpage article on www.overclockers.com on this?

Please post a link to it.

aznkc730 said:
which review sites are still legit then?
depends what you are looking for.

Watercooling products I got to www.procooling.com

Components I hit up ananad and hardocp

Forum reviews are touch and go. Many people dont know how to review something, and are just as dumb as reviewers.

With forums reviews, you get to ask the questions. Another plus being the knowledgeable members would drop in to offer their 0.02c. I believe a discussion is more valuable than a monologue.

I prefer reviews from members here, because I know they don't have any reason to convince anyone to buy the product. They can just give their opinion from using it. As a side note I know that HardOCP doesn't request "review samples" when they are reviewing a product, which I like, because it means they are getting the same product that a real customer would get, instead of the hand-picked components most review sites would receive. In general though, I read reviews from various sites, to see if I can get a good overall idea of what the product is like from various viewpoints. The real mistake is in only reading one review, because that allows the source's bias to completely influence your buying decision.

Super Nade said:
With forums reviews, you get to ask the questions. Another plus being the knowledgeable members would drop in to offer their 0.02c. I believe a discussion is more valuable than a monologue.
I rather have a monologue from a highly knowledgable indivudual, rather than a duscussion with a bunch of people that dont know all that much, and some are just wrong. This is for your average for like this one.

Scott9027 said:
I prefer reviews from members here, because I know they don't have any reason to convince anyone to buy the product. They can just give their opinion from using it. As a side note I know that HardOCP doesn't request "review samples" when they are reviewing a product, which I like, because it means they are getting the same product that a real customer would get, instead of the hand-picked components most review sites would receive. In general though, I read reviews from various sites, to see if I can get a good overall idea of what the product is like from various viewpoints. The real mistake is in only reading one review, because that allows the source's bias to completely influence your buying decision.
Its interely possible for many commercial reviews to have the same bias.

9mmCensor said:
I rather have a monologue from a highly knowledgable indivudual, rather than a duscussion with a bunch of people that dont know all that much, and some are just wrong. This is for your average for like this one.

Quite insulting to the forum you post in. :rolleyes:

Couldn't parse the last sentance :)

Could all the geniuses here please work on their spelling. ;) (I can't spell anything so I'm just kidding guys:)) Drinking improves your high Q! :beer:

In re original topic -- yes, you should disclose if you're a paid reviewer or a member of the company making the product. Honesty isn't lost, it's just been reduced by corporations.

Super Nade said:
Quite insulting to the forum you post in. :rolleyes:
Indeed. Damned arrogant. Because of the mixture of opinions places like this tend to offer, it's a very good place to come (IMO) to get good information on hardware and software.

While it is true that intelligence quotients are modeled fairly accurately with the standard distribution curve, it's not always the case, and in this place, I believe the average IQ is > normal. There will always be fewer geniuses than "normal" people, because genius is a relative term that connotes above average.

The next thing is, people are entitled to their opinions and biases so long as they can acknowledge other opinions and biases, and that their opinions and biases are solidly founded.

Captain Newbie said:
The next thing is, people are entitled to their opinions and biases so long as they can acknowledge other opinions and biases, and that their opinions and biases are solidly founded.
I acknowledge other opinions as wrong.

Back