• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I screwed up on my new XP install!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

So I did a fresh reinstall the other day, just finished setting everything up the way I wanted it. Then like a moron I was messing around creating user accounts for different family members. I made one called "home" and gave it admin rights. Now I'm hosed because I can't get back to all my original settings which were under the "admin" account. I can get in if I boot to safe mode, but otherways it defaults to "home" with no option of choosing... I just want to delete "home" and continue using "admin" since that's all I need.

Help! I don't wanna spend all that time trying to recover my email/calendar/everything else!

type lusrmgr.msc in the run and you can manage the user accounts.
Also in the user account icon in control panel, there is an option to change the way users log on or off. That will allow you to enter the user/password you wish to use during logon

Another way is to do the old 3 Finger Salute (Ctrl, Alt, Del) twice when the regular log-in screen appears. You will then see a "Log in to Windows" window. Type in Administrator in the user name box, & the Admin Passsword, if you have one, & hit Enter. If you have not set an Admin Password, just type Administrator & hit enter.
You will then be in the Administrator account & you can change whatever settings you want.
-Dave

try "control userpasswords2" in the run command. Then make sure that you have the check enabled for users to enter a password. Then, by pressing Ctrl Alt Del 2 times, you should be presented with the old 2k style login.

Back