• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5ND2 overclocking issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Winged Monkey

Hi there,

First post on this forum! Couldn't seem to find many users with this board in the Norwegian forums I usually haunt, so I thought I'd try here since I've seen there's been some threads about this board recently..

1. What's up with setting memory speeds on this card? I recently adjusted the FSB to 910, and the mem speed to 606 (3:2) which gave me strange results in CPU-z. CPU-z reports the mem speed to be at 151.5 (1/4), which can mean one of two things: One, the memory runs at half speed (~ 300Mhz), or two, the memory runs on a quad multiplier and thus runs at the speed it's supposed.

I took a screenshot with some mem bandwith scores from Sandra's that I'd hoped somebody with a general idea of how fast this memory should run could take a look at:

(The sticks are 2 x OCZ 512MB DDR2 533 MHz E.B.)

What do you think? Is it running at 300 or 600?

2. Any experiences with the new bios, 0802? (Especially in regard to overclocking..)

3. The (very limited) experience I have from overclocking, doesn't seem to apply to this board since the BIOS settings differ greatly from what I'm used to. Any general tips for overclocking this board?

I have this board, ASUS really needs a solid BIOS for it. I have the 0801 BIOS right now, and i cannot manually overclock for anything. None of the BIOS's except for 0705 will overclock, at all. Which bios are you using?

Yes, the memory is QUAD pumped, so CPU-Z is right. You're thumbnail doesnt work, so i cant see your screeny. Your mem bench should be between 4.5-6.5k...

The 0802 BIOS made my battlefield 2 quit to desktop, flashing back to 0801 solved that problem. 0802 adds some IDE corrections into the BIOS, when i installed the 0802 from 0801, windows detected new IDE channels, so they fixed something IDE related.

I try each and every BIOS asus releases for this board, not one has enabled overclocking yet (less 0705). The system BIOS will read the overclock correctly, but it does not apply itself in windows.

I'm currently using the bios that shipped with the motherboard. I'm not quite sure what the version number is. Haven't figured a way to find out what it is...

Edit: Found out via the "DMI Browser" that the version number is 0605.

I had a hunch that the memory had to be quad-pumped, since benchmark scores seem to be pretty decent, but still good to have it confirmed :)

I'll try to insert some manual links to the most recent screenshots I've taken. The clocking experiments I've been making since I posted earlier has actually been going pretty decent :thup:

[Link 1] - [Link 2]

Here's the link to the image in my original post:

[Link 3]

Hmm.. So your clocking gets reset when you enter windows? I had similar problems initially, but it turned out it was EIST that was kicking in. Have you tried disabling it? Unfortunately it isn't quite as easy as just turning off EIST in the bios, you also have to disable "Enhanced C1". Anyway, that's probably not it; if you want to try out the bios I have, I'll gladly zip it up to you. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how, so you'd have to tell me how..

Last edited:
Hehe, i have every BIOS out from ASUS so far, fugger @ XS helped me out, i have a folder with about 10 files in it, so if YOU need any BIOS's , lmk ;)

Im gonna try turning off C1E in BIOS and let you know...BTW, what VC"s are you using, dual 6800GT's?

EDIT: Disabled C1E in BIOS and OCing the CPU is still a no go, but overclocking the RAM works just fine, running @ 600mhz 24/7.

Last edited:
Roger that...

I thought perhaps I'd gotten some secret "golden" bios shipped with my MB, since everything seems to have been working pretty smooth :D Is there any particular reason you're running 801, seeing as your OC won't register?

I saw the thread(s) over at XS too, and it seems like there's so much issues with the newer bioses that I think I'll keep the one I've got until ASUS gets their s*** together and puts out a proper bios.

The VC is a 7800GTX running on stock cooling. Those mothers OC something crazy I'll tell you. The 3DMark05-score was achieved with 525Mhz core and 1390Mhz memory. Default timings are 430:1200.

(Still got a little way to go to come close to this crazy guy though :eek: )

Ya but to beat his 3.73ghz AMD youll need a 6ghz p4 lol.

the 0605 was the initial shipping BIOS for all boards, it has a restart problem though, dont know if you've noticed yet, it hangs on restarts...for allot of people at least.

The 0705 BIOS is great, i tried flashing back to it once but windows locked up every time i restarted, maybe because i didnt clear the CMOS before flashing.

We'll see if i have the balls to try 0705 again

Ah.. So THAT'S why I keep getting those "boot disk failure"s when powering up/restarting! I just solved it by having the win installer disk in the dvd-rom when powering up. The "Press any key to boot from cd..." dialog creates a delay that evidently is enough for the system disk to get recognized. I think it's a problem with the disk starting spinning up too late, therefore you have to put in a delay in order for the boot-files to be read.

Or it might something completely different.. ;)

I would be very interested in the 0705 bios (if it's not available on Asus's support pages..)

Sucks that you can't overclock the CPU at all with the bios you've got. My knowledge of bios-tweaking is unfortunately too limited for me to be able to offer any further advice on what might be the problem, but if this is a problem that everyone with the new bios is suffering from, I'm sure ASUS must be aware and that they'll be trying to rectify it in a bios-update. The question is when, of course.. Have you tried contacting them?

I tried the 0705 BIOS again today but for some reason with SLI enabled it hangs also, so i switched to 0802 and formatted, all is well now.

If you PM me your email or something, or hit me up on AIM @ skater8979 ill send you any BIOS u want.

Ive heard nothing but problems from these SLI boards. Most of the issues are all hardware related. Id switch to an intel chipset if possible.

Sentential said:
Ive heard nothing but problems from these SLI boards. Most of the issues are all hardware related. Id switch to an intel chipset if possible.

Actually its only the ASUS P5ND2-SLI, and you've been hearing more than half of the whining and problems from me ;)

Im buying an ABIT NI8 SLI as soon as i get home from summer term at UCF.

Dillusion said:
Actually its only the ASUS P5ND2-SLI, and you've been hearing more than half of the whining and problems from me ;)

Im buying an ABIT NI8 SLI as soon as i get home from summer term at UCF.
Only? Tell that to Collin as his MSI litererly blew up on him and wouldnt run 1:1.

Sentential said:

Well..

Can't say I've had so much trouble with this board as I've had "peculiarities". CPU-z showing wrong memory timings, slight boot-problems, etc. Of course, I may still discover more serious problems further down the road, but so far.. :thup:

If you see the link I posted earlier to the cpu-z/superpi screenshot, you'll see that my 660 is running @ 4,6. Seemed to be Prime95 stable too, though I didn't run it for very long. Now, that's not too bad by anyone's standard is it?

Yes, I admit it, I'm a little proud, and yes, I can hear the vapochill crowd laughing in the background, but still! :D

Dillusion: Sent you a PM. Thanks alot!

Sentential said:
Only? Tell that to Collin as his MSI litererly blew up on him and wouldnt run 1:1.

Ok well i know the MSI has problems, youre right and ill admit to that. But MSI FUBAR's allot of things, thats no surprise.

I'm also curious about the whole bios overclocking deal too. I can set my fsb to 1000 with a 3.2 64bit, it will boot to the bios screen as 4.0gig, then when i get into windows, and fire up cpu-z it reads as a 2.8, with a 14 multi??? Is the bios not holding the overclock info or what?? It seems that there are only 2 bios's available for the non-deluxe version. I'm gonna try the original one tonight, and see if it still happens. Is anyone else having shutdown issues too?? I can turn my box off in windows, and the only thing that happens is the monitor turns off, the box is in standby i think??

screwtech02 said:
I'm also curious about the whole bios overclocking deal too. I can set my fsb to 1000 with a 3.2 64bit, it will boot to the bios screen as 4.0gig, then when i get into windows, and fire up cpu-z it reads as a 2.8, with a 14 multi??? Is the bios not holding the overclock info or what?? It seems that there are only 2 bios's available for the non-deluxe version. I'm gonna try the original one tonight, and see if it still happens. Is anyone else having shutdown issues too?? I can turn my box off in windows, and the only thing that happens is the monitor turns off, the box is in standby i think??

Are you using the deluxe version? BIOS versions 0605 and 0705 had shutdown issues.

No, i'm using the 203 bios for the non-deluxe version off the Asus site, can you use the Deluxe bios's with this board, i would think so, but i may be wrong..

@ Dillusion

Hi Dillusion,

Any chance you could send me a copy of the 801 BIOS? I'll worry about overclocking when ASUS releases a BIOS that works perfectly and NVidia FINALLY update the NForce drivers. For the moment, all I want for christmas is a system that doesn't crash at the slightest touch of SLI or heavy disc access.

address is: mrifurita [at] centrespin.com

You'd be a lifesaver, man - I can't find 801 anywhere.

Cheers,
Junko Kimura

EDIT: You probably already figure, but that's for the P5ND2-SLI Deluxe version

Actually the 801 Driver is on teh Asus Website. I DLed it about 1 hr agoe. I dont think im gonna use it though. Gonna try overclocking with this Mobo and stock Bios and find out what happens :(

Back