• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Explorer (not IE) Alternatives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I was just wondering if anyone out there in cyberspace has tried using a Windows Explorer alternative.

I like the idea of a more lightweight file manager that would decrease the amount of resources used by Windows XP overall.

I found this in a sticky by searching:
Think Internet Explorer is heavy? You should see how well Windows runs w/o the bulk of Explorer. Although there are a few alternatives, I've found Lite Step to be a favorite. Let me warn you tho, this is not for the average tweaker. Can take quiet some time to set up.
But the link was dead, so that didn't get me any farther along.

So, if you have any experience or suggestions about Explorer alternatives, and not IE alternatives thank you, please post.

EDIT: Instead of another post I will just add this to my existing post.

-I have noticed that just 2 IE windows use up a total of approximately 38,000 K in mem usage. The first window (OCForums.com :) ) uses 20,000K. What I would like to know, is what kind of memory usage do alternative internet browser users get per window.

To establish some type of control with this little experiment, it would be best to post your mem usage with one tab/window visiting www.ocforums.com

Basically the goal of this is to find what browser uses the least memory for the same task, in order to find the most lightweigh IE alternative.

All your input is appreciated, thanks! :)

EDIT v2.0: Feel free to post whatever you have to help me gather information. If you use IE, post your mem usage for one window of ocforums. That way I compare those numbers as well. And FireFox or Opera users can post as many as they can/choose to.

The more information the better.

Last edited:
Ahh, I had given up hope on this thread after 40 views and no answers. Thanks for the multiple different alternatives, I look forward to giving some of these a try! :)

I have used Aston. I thought it was fun to use, not to much of a jump from plain old Explorer. It was picky on some of my programs. For an all around replacment ,this is a good one to start at. The con is , not free. Plus it will eat as much resources as Windows normally, with other stuff it fires into the TM.
I also tried Lite Step. That was much harder to grasp. Same as Geoshell. You need to have a basic understanding of the registry to actually benifit from using the "harder" shells. If you have these skills. Then you will find it easier to actually control your GUI and envirment with a smaller footy. :thup:

If your going to complely hack apart Windows for comfortable dialy use. It is time to try Linix.

For plain old file exploder.

I Just hack my reg and control what I need. hehe

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Scott9027 said:
I was just wondering if anyone out there in cyberspace has tried using a Windows Explorer alternative.

I like the idea of a more lightweight file manager that would decrease the amount of resources used by Windows XP overall.

I found this in a sticky by searching:
Think Internet Explorer is heavy? You should see how well Windows runs w/o the bulk of Explorer. Although there are a few alternatives, I've found Lite Step to be a favorite. Let me warn you tho, this is not for the average tweaker. Can take quiet some time to set up.
But the link was dead, so that didn't get me any farther along.

So, if you have any experience or suggestions about Explorer alternatives, and not IE alternatives thank you, please post.

EDIT: Instead of another post I will just add this to my existing post.

-I have noticed that just 2 IE windows use up a total of approximately 38,000 K in mem usage. The first window (OCForums.com :) ) uses 20,000K. What I would like to know, is what kind of memory usage do alternative internet browser users get per window.

To establish some type of control with this little experiment, it would be best to post your mem usage with one tab/window visiting www.ocforums.com

Basically the goal of this is to find what browser uses the least memory for the same task, in order to find the most lightweigh IE alternative.

All your input is appreciated, thanks! :)

EDIT v2.0: Feel free to post whatever you have to help me gather information. If you use IE, post your mem usage for one window of ocforums. That way I compare those numbers as well. And FireFox or Opera users can post as many as they can/choose to.

The more information the better.

I got disappointing news, even with Firefox and just one window, it consumes at least approximately 20 MB. :(

Back