• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info Needed! for network config.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Msi.

Hello.

I am in charge of my uncles home network and my own home network. He has recently moved into a new how and I needed to re-setup the entire network over again. Here is what happend and some problems I need to solve.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Setup

Router Internet Port to Modem Port
Router Port 1 to Computer 1
Router Port 2 to Computer 2
Router Port 3 to Computer 3 N/A
Router Port 4 to Computer 4 N/A

Router Port W to Computer 5
Router Port W to Computer 6

FYI: Router Port W is a wireless connection. the connections with N/A means theres no computere connected to them.

Router Configuration

Wireless:
Wireless Network Mode: G-Only or Mixed (need advice on this)
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Linksys
Wireless Channel: 6 – 2.437 GHz
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enabled

Security Mode: WEP
Default Transmit Key: 1
WEP Encryption: 128 bytes 26 hex digits

Steps Taken

- Verification of the physical connections. Wires, modem, router. OK
- Verification of the software and drives. OK
- Verify that all four computers are connected and can share files OK
- Verify that all four computers are connected to the internet. NO
- Verify that all four computers have a means of printing. NO
- Verify that the network is encrypted. OK

OK, heres the problem.

1! There are four computers in this network and only one is able to access the web. The connection that can access the web is computer 2 on the table i posted above. I verified the internet connection settings and mimiced the settings to all other computers on the network but it still doesnt work.

2! There is two printers on the network. BUT my goal for the moment is to at least get one working! The printer is a canon model I550. Three computers are working on windows xp pro and one computer is running on windows 2000 pro. When I add a network printer it wont show me the printer that is connected to computer 2 on the table above even if that computer has file and printer shareing activated. I tried connecting the printer to an other machine but the same thing happens and it doesnt show up for the other three computers.

Now for suggestions.

This is to ask if I did the network encryption properly since some files that will be put on these computers are very important and I would not want them to get in the wrong hands. I know now a days hardly any network is safe but I`d at least like to set a level of security for this one.

as stated above im useing "WEP" 128 bytes 26 hex digits. the passphrase is 15 digits longs, so thats one hell of a long key. and the network is set to G-only since all computers not connected to network with wires are connected with wireless G network cards.

any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

thank you in advance

Msi.

Change the SSID and turn broadcasting of the SSID off. You can also use mac filtering to only allow the two wireless cards in your laptops to connect. None of the security is foolproof but combined they do make a pretty good deterent.

For the internet thing turn all computers off then unplug the router and the modem.

plug the modem in and let it boot and get connection, Then plug in the router, then turn on the computers. Now do you still have the no internet problem?

Edit: Also make sure you change the password for the router

This should be in the internet/networking section of the forums.

Thanks.

My uncle is gone on a two week vacation and wont be back for a while but i'll keep this in mind. I already know how to change the router password so thats good.

A few more things to work on and my job is done :p

thanks a lot

if anyone else has comments or suggestions, keep them coming. Its always good to hear what everyone has to say.

Back