• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I copy my HD and OS to my new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbuilder

Registered
Building a new system and I want to copy my current, system over the new one (os and files). Its a new hard drive. Whats the best way to move the data so I dont have to update everything?

Cant really do that. You could ghost it, and yes everything would be copied. Though drivers from your old hardware and mobo would really mess things up for you.

I guess the only thing to do is the new install and then add the hd and move the files over manualy, I want to keep the os on both drives as I'm giving my kid my old one. He's only 5 and wont be getting online for a few years so I dont have to worry about ms freaking out by using the os on 2 machines. As it is now I'm sure I'll have to call them to get a key fix or something when I boot for the first time.

Ok I did a new install and then added the old hard drive to the new machine. The problem I now have is it wont let me look at my files on the old hard drive. How do I get around this. It says they're protected. Does this have anyting to do with my password to acces my account on the old hard drive/old OS? I'm trying to move my old files from the old hd to the new hd but I cant get into them to copy them or even view them.

NTFS permissions.

You can get around this problem by taking ownership of files/folders. Open folder properties, click security tab, open the advanced settings, then click the owner tab to make changes.

ok I right click on the folder and click properties. 3 tabs up top general, sharing ,customize. there is no security tab..?

El<(')>Maxi said:
NTFS permissions.

You can get around this problem by taking ownership of files/folders. Open folder properties, click security tab, open the advanced settings, then click the owner tab to make changes.
This is what Ms support says to do as well but I dont a security tab option when I right click on the folder.

To display the Security tab --- found it in ms help --

Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].
Cool, this should take care of everything. Thanks you for all your help

Back