• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blocking Software From Being Installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

I have XP Pro installed on our house computer that 4 people use daily. Does XP have a feature to limit software that can be installed? My kids are downloading programs and installing them.

ok I have win2k but you can do this on 2000 so you can probably do it on XP

Basically you have to make a user profile for each of your kids so they have to login under a username they pick. Then you have to customize the profile (it should be users under the control panels)

here is what it looks like under 2k

Basically you want to set them to restricted users so they can't install anything.

Last edited:
yes

Control Panel / Users - make your kids account a "guest" account

other wise check out

start / run

gpedit.msc

but what ever you put in their affects ALL accounts

Taken from Help and Support in XP...
Limited account

The limited account is intended for someone who should be prohibited from changing most computer settings and deleting important files. A user with a limited account:

● Cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.
● Can change his or her account picture and can also create, change, or delete his or her password.
● Cannot change his or her account name or account type. A user with a computer administrator account must make these kinds of changes.
Note:

Some programs might not work properly for users with limited accounts. If so, change the user's account type to computer administrator, either temporarily or permanently.

Guest account

The guest account is intended for use by someone who has no user account on the computer. There is no password for the guest account, so the user can log on quickly to check e-mail or browse the Internet. A user logged on to the guest account:

● Cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.
● Cannot change the guest account type.
● Can change the guest account picture.

Back