• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you put up with this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MRD said:
http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/07/15/155216.shtml?tid=109&tid=172&tid=158&tid=155

Is there any limit to how much you guys will let Bill Gates screw you over? I just don't get why you put up with this stuff.

Dunno, I run XP, and don't have that problem. Then again, this is an "alledged" problem, with an OS that hasn't even been officially released yet.

I forget how long I've had XP Pro on this system, without a format or problem, but Linux guys will whine forever, about an OS they don't even use. Seems to be the same for AMDroids, who keep attempting to trash Intel, when they've never even owned one.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, heh heh heh :rolleyes:

Because, believe it or not, windows is better than linux in some situations! It pretty much comes down to user friendlyness. You need a printer, you go buy one, you plug it in, it works. No messing around with loading the right modules. For the average home user they just want to click and have whatever they want there and not have to search google for 5-10 minutes for the answer. Linux is making improvements with this, but the most user friendly distro (in my opinion) is what novell is dishing out for $80 a copy.

I'm not anti linux and in no way am I trying to bash it, I run it on one of my computers and absolutely love the feeling of control that comes with it. Linux has its place but you still have to realize that your mother probably wouldn't care for it as much because of the learning curve. Mine believes that you have to be a genius to open microsoft word and get to hotmail. Linux just isn't as friendly to the non computer-savvy users as microsoft, which is why people still dish out the cash for it.

Yeah, in mainy cases Windows is better. Security is something that a lot want but is not the number one reason I go on a computer. I go on to have fun, which is a lot easier with windows. As for this as with everything lile this, its not out. I am sure when it comes out it either wont be as bad as it seems or will only work if you do something like use some windows media player.

I am sure when it comes out it either wont be as bad as it seems or will only work if you do something like use some windows media player.
Oh man, it will be worse than it seems now.... You won't control your computer, it will decide if you are allowed to run programs, watch vid's, listen to music. MRD: hit em with the links so they can see for themselves...
Linux just isn't as friendly to the non computer-savvy users as microsoft, which is why people still dish out the cash for it.
So then in your own words, its Ignorance...

User friendliness is all well and good, but how much freedom are you willing to give up for it? We are fast headed to a 1984 totalitarian digital society, with Microsoft and the RIAA/MPAA controlling our computers, and us having to beg permission to do anything with them.

I had nothing against windows at all until DRM/TCPA came out. If you don't understand what they entail, here are some links explaining it. The restrictions on freedom were so severe that the government of Brazil banned all use of Windows on government machines. Several of the provincial governments of Germany have followed suit as well.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

WingsofGOD said:
Oh man, it will be worse than it seems now.... You won't control your computer, it will decide if you are allowed to run programs, watch vid's, listen to music. MRD: hit em with the links so they can see for themselves...

So then in your own words, its Ignorance...

Yeah, I'm technologically ignorant. That's an ignorant thing to say in the first place, no point talking, or even attempting to talk to Linux addicts or AMDroids.

I play all the games I want to, without problems.

I use any hardware I desire without problems.

I don't have to write my own code to make my OS work the way I want it to.

And you call me ignorant? You're an ***. End of story. :shrug:

It's not about Linux. It's about Windows. Linux just happens to be the other OS we choose because it runs on our hardware. The truth is, I do not use windows because I don't want to use windows, more than because I wish to use linux. It's a freedom issue.

I think he was referring to the ignorance of people with regard to what is coming for windows users.

There is no problem with Linux, however I already know Windows. I work on windows everyday, Windows is running everywhere I go, and most of the things I want only run on Windows!

I am still trying to learn linux, but if Longhorn ships like this then either...
A - I will wait for it to be cracked and a stripped out version to be released somewhere
B - Stay on XP
C - Switch over to Linux.

Ok, Wings you really need to settle down some. Not to be rude but its pretty clear your a Linux Fanboy, not everyone has time to sit home all day and figure out how to install a simple piece of hardware, or run a simple app. That is why Windows is currently the top dog. It basically has better support and that there is no way to deny it. Also you have no idea if it will be worse. I cannot tell if you are joking by that or now. If not though how excaly do you know this? Or are you just taking a random geuss at what people have been saying for like 8 years now and has still never happened.

There are actually Linux distros that are extremely easy to install, such as Xandros. It's pretty moron proof, perhaps easier than XP.

Another option is Mac OSX. That's certainly easy enough to use.

I agree with PCGUY really. It's not that Windows is that bad right now. It's what's coming that scares me, and that made me switch. I was a happy Windows user until I learned of palladium, now I'm a happy Linux user. I've also considered Mac OSX as well, providing they don't go the same route as Windows (so far, they haven't said anything about it either way.)

Once freedom is lost, it will be very hard to regain it.

The unfortunate part about this is that it is a flamewar waiting to happen. This is why we have seperate sections for Windows Operating Systems and Alternative Operating Systems. It keeps flaming to a minimum.

While the news may have merit, there are two major problems w/ it: 1) It's coming from /., which is about as trustworthy as your average used car salesman, and 2) Longhorn is a ways off yet, and even this seems far too oppressive for even regular people to stand.

Furthermore, lots of people don't 'put up' with Windows. I for one, enjoy the ease of use that my copy of Windows 2000 brings, and will be hard-pressed to part from it. I like to be able to install something w/o having to fight w/ RPMs or re-compiling my kernel, and I'm sure more than a few people feel this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back