• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting the "Scanner and Camera Wizard" to work with USB card reader.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

Ok, I'm running WinXP pro and I have a little usb card reader that I just slip the xD card from my camera into and then I put it in the USB port and transfer the pics, yadda yadda. My problem is that I used to do this and the "autoplay thing would come up and I would just choose to use the "Scanner and Camera" wizard thingy and it would rename all the files to something normal and I could pick which to transfer and all that good stuff. But I installed new hardware and reformatted and now it will not do that. Just says it cannot use the wizard on that device.

I just want to be able to transfer pics from my card reader using the wizard thing :)
Thanks,
-Blake

Do you happen to have Real Player 10 installed? There seems to be a conflict between Real Player and the Wizard, preventing the Wizard from running. It seems there's an incompatability between the Wizard and the file Realsched.exe, which runs on startup. You can 'End Process' on it using Task Manager, and the functionality of the Wizard will be restored. You can permanently disable Realsched.exe from running on startup using MSConfig (Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK), however I believe it'll become active again any time Real Player is started. As there's a couple of workarounds, it's not absolutely necessary to uninstall Real Player to mitigate the conflict, and get the Wizard working again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply again redduc :)
No, I don't have any form of realplayer installed (hate that damn program) but I do use Windows Media Player 10 and when it is running and I try to do the camera wizard I get the error and WMP tried to do some dumb synchronization thing with it:rolleyes:. So I tried to close WMP and then redo it and I still get the same error :(
untitled.jpg

Does the USB card reader show up either in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management ( Start | Run | Type diskmgmt.msc, and click OK) ? Also, are you running XP with any SP installed ?

I have SP1 installed and that's it. I have also disabled a few services that I forgot about. I had to enable the Local Disk Manager Service to get that run command to work, lol.

Could this be an error related to a service that isn't running?

Yep, just had the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service disabled. Set it to Manual and all is well. Thanks again redduc900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back