• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT!!! G.Skill LE TCCD 2x512 desicion to make!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocing newbie

The G.Skill LE TCCD just came back in stock on newegg. It's $256 which is pretty expensive but I've heard this is the ultimate ocing ram. Should I get it before it is out of stock again, or discontinued permanently? This would be the first component I'd be buying for a future pc build. My other choice for ram would be the OCZ platinum rev. 2 which is tcc5 and is $167. I want to be able to hit 300 fsb to oc a 3000+ venice. The G.Skill can sometimes do this with timings of 2.5-3-3 and I have read raising ras to cas to 4 will hurt the bandwidth a lot. Having the ultimate ram sounds pretty enticing. What does everybody think?

Last edited:
I'd take a look at Mushkin Redline. I think it's cheaper and it hits around 270+ mhz with 2-2-2-5 and tighter timings. I Can't remember off hand what the numbers were, but I'm sure I'm not giving the credit that's due for these sticks. You'd be able to hit 300mhz no problem with Redline and keep your timings nice and tight. However, you will need to have a fan blowing on the ram and be able to put atleast 3.3 volts into it.

ocing newbie said:
So is the Redline UTT? Voltage won't be an issue, I'll probably get the dfi nf4 ultra.

Yes Redlines are UTT and some of the finest UTT's that you will find. If you are getting DFI NF4 board then I would strongly suggest that you get this RAM.

Well I guess I'll go with your recommendations. I hope it clocks as high as you guys think it will. I'd be sorry if I couldn't hit 300 and the g.skill was gone forever. I said I'd be building for a 3000+ venice but eventually I'd want to upgrade to an fx-57 or a x2 when the new orleans and windsor's are released the prices will hopefully go down. If I get a better processor then the high fsb would be even more useful cuz I wouldn't be cpu limited. Then I should have an awesome gaming rig. All this is just to play bf2 and the new special ops expanansion (which sounds so sweet), and all the great mods that should come out later. I was really close to buying the g.skill (I mean so close I was about to hit the submit order button on newegg, lol!), and I'm glad I didn't cuz that stuff is expensive!

Well the Redline has a good chance of not hitting 300MHz. But that is not a problem because running a divider on AMD causes no performance hit! So Redline is the way to go!

makshim said:
Well the Redline has a good chance of not hitting 300MHz.
A good chance? Try 0 chance. If you get 270Mhz you got an above average set.

LE is a good choice too, 2.8v will provide alot less stress on your system in the long run.

I'd take my chances with Muskin Redlines...... not nearly as expensive as GSkill LE. Not everyone has great success with LEs.

makshim said:
Well the Redline has a good chance of not hitting 300MHz. But that is not a problem because running a divider on AMD causes no performance hit! So Redline is the way to go!
How does a divider work? Why doesn't it affect performace? Is there an actual advantage of running a high fsb of 300 if the divider doesn't hurt performance? Does high fsb help your i/o on peripherals or what? Is there any other ram more able to hit 300? Is the ocz gold vx good? What about the ocz plat rev. 2 tcc5, which is the cheapest and should be able to go really high, or even the gold version which is still cheaper, is it binned slower? What kind of ram is the tall corsair xlpro which corsair says is designed for extreme ocing. What about the corsair xpert? What kind of fsb can the corsair hit?

Last edited:
I would recommend the G.Skill LE's. I own a pair of these bad boys, and they are insane on mhz. I can run stable at 289mhz 1:1 all day long (at 2.7v at that). I cant hit 300mhz 1:1 right now because of my dated 3000+ Winnie (0437). But I know they can hit high mhz marks.
Just my 2 cents though

Another vote for the LE's. I have to say that most probably you will have more performance with the Redline's, but the flexibility of TCCD and the ability to run them from the 3.3v rail was what made me choose the LE's (results in the sig).

amrgb said:
Another vote for the LE's. I have to say that most probably you will have more performance with the Redline's, but the flexibility of TCCD and the ability to run them from the 3.3v rail was what made me choose the LE's (results in the sig).

Ditto

amrgb said:
Another vote for the LE's. I have to say that most probably you will have more performance with the Redline's, (results in the sig).
I'm still a little confused because some people seem to be saying the redlines are the better performance memory. It can do tight timings but isn't likely to clock as fast as the g.skill. Why would this help performance? :bang head

Last edited:
The timings (2-2-2) give Redline better performance. OCing RAM is not just about speed, its also has a lot to do with timings.

Summary:

Redlines - Better bench scores but high voltage stresses your system more.

LE - Lower voltage and more flexibility (i.e. if you have a CPU that only has lower multis available), but slightly lower bench scores.

I have the LE's and other mems that run the tight timings. It just depends on what you want to do.

The LE's do great at 2.5,3,3,7 timings up to ~305 at 2.8-2.9v

The Redlinds are ~255-265 at 3.5-3.6v 2,2,2,5 timings. So take your pick.

Its what you want to do with them. I personally like the hight FSB and RAM in 1:1. Just me. I am building a DFI ultra w/the LE's.

I also think that running 260 x 10 vs 280 x 9 makes do difference or little in real would games/applicatons.

YMMV but really you can't go wrong with either.

A couple other questions: Can the redline clock higher by loosening up the timings and is a divider just a way to essentially get a higher multi?

Eldonko said:
The timings (2-2-2) give Redline better performance. OCing RAM is not just about speed, its also has a lot to do with timings.

Summary:

Redlines - Better bench scores but high voltage stresses your system more.

LE - Lower voltage and more flexibility (i.e. if you have a CPU that only has lower multis available), but slightly lower bench scores.

I actually score better with tight LE's at ~300 than i do with UTT at ~255ish. Unless you can get the UTT/BH to 270 i'm gonna give the nod to my set of LE's. I did some testing on my FX with both sets in my sig and the LE's won out because i couldn't take the UTT over 255 at the same CPU frequency as the LE's close to 300HTT. I'm sure in certain circumstances the UTT will win, but overall i had better results with my particular set of LE's.

Opposite for me. My BH at 263 out performs my TCC5 at 313 by a decent margin at similar CPU clocks. I can't come close to my 32M best with TCC5 =/

However I am running it at 2.5-4-4 not 2.5-3-3.

ocing newbie said:
A couple other questions: Can the redline clock higher by loosening up the timings and is a divider just a way to essentially get a higher multi?

I guess it could but that would be wasting the potential of the memory, no one runs Redline at timings looser than 2-2-2 AFAIK.

Divider allows you to use high FSB by reducing memory speed to a speed it can be stable at. Say your CPU maxes at 2750Mhz. If you have Redline and a 3000+ you could do 305x9=2745Mhz with 166divider RAM freq would be ~250Mhz.

Eldonko said:
Opposite for me. My BH at 263 out performs my TCC5 at 313 by a decent margin at similar CPU clocks. I can't come close to my 32M best with TCC5 =/

However I am running it at 2.5-4-4 not 2.5-3-3.

Yeah, i was mainly refering to my set. I have a pretty darn good set :)

i used to own gskill le's and i can personally say there god like ram. lol. However im building a new rig

neo2 plat, 3000venice, bluestorm and RAM, i cant decide if i need to spend 256 on gskills again..... blah.. someone help me decide lol

Back