• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OCing ram for under $200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exfoliate

Alright, so what would you guys say is the very best ram out there for both overclocking potential (as in for the cpu mainly, something that could get a 3500 for instance up to 2.8 at least) and overall performance? Is it worth going to DDR 4000 for instance and paying $50 more over some perfectly respectable PC3200 ram, both with good specs? I'm thinking so but I could use some more feedback. Or would you suggest I save up and buy two gigs? I'm not going to bother with the dual channel kits as they're over priced and have horrible latencies. But would two identical 1gig sticks work alright? If so is it worth all that extra money for whatever performance gain I'd get? Thanks.

Wow, thank you very much dude, that clears up a great deal, so obviously CAS latency has very little effect, and I take it neither does the actual ram speed to a point judging by the first link.

No offence to Zebo, but I don't think that test proves anything. Better ram does give better performance. The gains on an A64 are not as great as the gains in an XP system, but if you want an optimal set up you need good ram. The price differential is not so great anymore either.
Exfoliate, both of those rams you pointed out are not tccd. The OCZ is tcc5, which is good, but still not as good as tccd. There are high voltage rams but this would mean buying a boostger and running the risks that go along with high voltage. All things considered, my apologies to the PBC, the TCCD is still the best solution for nf3 and nf4 boards.

Thank you, how can you tell if the ram is TCCD? The ram you linked up doesn't seem to mention that anywhere. Also how much of an improvement does TCCD hold over non-TCCD ram like teh Patriot ram I linked up?

Exfoliate said:
Wow, thank you very much dude, that clears up a great deal, so obviously CAS latency has very little effect, and I take it neither does the actual ram speed to a point judging by the first link.

Yeah, just remember these tests/results are for A64 ONLY, I have no idea about other processors since they don't have on-die mem. controllers

Thanks everyone, I'll be able to come up with something. If the Patriots get good reviews and stack up with that Corsair TwinX then I might just go with that.

I have heard the ocz plat stuff hitting pretty high. Anyone else know anything about it?

Back