• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building First PC.. Need Some Advice on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliot ness

Registered
I'm building my first pc and so far I know I want: 3200+ Venice, DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D $129 with a 6600GT card. My budget is about $1k and my primary uses for this are to be able to play BF2 and most imporantly run graphic design software like photoshop & illustrator.. i'm currently using photoshop on my xp 2400+ laptop with 512MB RAm and it is slooooowww. So I want to go with 2GB RAM. I know very little about timings and what goes on with RAM, so I just need advice on what type to get and if it's better to get 4 512MB sticks or 2 1GB sticks. I dont really plan to OC much, I'm an EE major so my other EE friends would laugh at me if I didn't OC a little, so OC'ng is not that important to me but I will OC a little bit.. thanks

:welcome:

Check out the Patriot 2x1GB sticks PC3200 that run 2-3-2-5 timings and I believe that OCZ also has a pair that do the same. there is also a thread here (or a dozen...) that all talk about "which 2x1GB sets are the best" you could do a forum search and come up with some good responses.

I would like to reccomend OCZ Gold EL BH5 (UTT BH) PC-3200, does 2-2-2-5 at lower volts, and fly with 2-2-2-5 at higher volts, but keep in mind, past 3.0v +-5% your warranty is gone.

Back