• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arg! ram decisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avalanche83

I am trying to cram to much info in ram in my head to quick and it isn't working very well. I am trying to find some ram at pc4000 that can do 2.5 2-2-x. I don't want to over do it and spend too much on something that will do just as good as something that costs less.

Last edited:
alright, that board, which i had, will not give the voltage that the ocz Gold Voltage eXtreme's need, which is upwards of 3.3v to hit the pc4000 speeds. the most voltage that board can give out iirc is 3.2v with a Fire bios. Im pretty sure thats not the ram you want. And VIA has an issue with TCCD, it frankly hates it. so you only choice is a Micron based ram, or a volt mod.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
alright, that board, which i had, will not give the voltage that the ocz Gold Voltage eXtreme's need, which is upwards of 3.3v to hit the pc4000 speeds. the most voltage that board can give out iirc is 3.2v with a Fire bios. Im pretty sure thats not the ram you want. And VIA has an issue with TCCD, it frankly hates it. so you only choice is a Micron based ram, or a volt mod.

What about OCZ Booster, is it compatible with that board?

avalanche83 said:
Can ballistix do 2.5-2-2-x?

Sounds like based on the equipment you have you're gonna have to compromise. You'll either have to losen those timings or settle for less of an overclock. If you want to go with less of an overclock, any bh-die mem should give you about 210-230fsb with 2-2-2-x timings with about 2.8v-2.9v. Otherwise go with some TCCD/TCC5 memory. 2.5-3-3-x timings will give you somewhere between 270-300fsb with 2.6v-2.9v. If you don't like those choices then go with some Crucial Ballistix.

Here is my choice for low latancy bh-die ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211

HousERaT said:
Sounds like based on the equipment you have you're gonna have to compromise. You'll either have to losen those timings or settle for less of an overclock. If you want to go with less of an overclock, any bh-die mem should give you about 210-230fsb with 2-2-2-x timings with about 2.8v-2.9v. Otherwise go with some TCCD/TCC5 memory. 2.5-3-3-x timings will give you somewhere between 270-300fsb with 2.6v-2.9v. If you don't like those choices then go with some Crucial Ballistix.

Here is my choice for low latancy bh-die ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211
100% agree.

Ok. I want some fast ram. My bios only gives 2.8v. Kinda crappy but that is what I have to work with. I like the TCCD thing. By the sounds of it higher FSB is better than tight timings, but combining the two makes for some hell of a RAM. So would it be a better choice to go with tight timings/low FSB at pc3200 or high FSB/looser timings at pc4000?

VIA doesnt play nice with TCCD. if you get ballistix, and the Blanders Fire bios you get 3.2v in bios. you are better off with ballistix crucial will do the 2.5-2-2 which is what you want. the X-2-2 is what you want for more bandwidth. Remember OCZ's Enhanced Bandwidth series? they sed micron based chips cause they are the only ones that can do like 2.5-2-2 or 3-2-2.

avalanche83 said:
Ok. I want some fast ram. My bios only gives 2.8v. Kinda crappy but that is what I have to work with. I like the TCCD thing. By the sounds of it higher FSB is better than tight timings, but combining the two makes for some hell of a RAM. So would it be a better choice to go with tight timings/low FSB at pc3200 or high FSB/looser timings at pc4000?

I say go with the TCCD and be sure to get TCCD and not TCC5 because they will require more voltage as well. The best way to do this is get some G-Skill Value or some LC's while they are still around.

Back