• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why I love Mushkin more every day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Well, you may or may not remember my personal woes with the Mushkin "Blues" (ahhh, how I love a good unintentional pun). I, along with many other people, jumped on this line after seeing some great results from the UTT in it. I think I picked up a 2x512MB pack from Outpost.com (Fry's) for $127 after shipping.

I stuck them in my rig and sadly found they wouldn't run stock speeds without errors. At 3.3v, they both booted at 250FSB 2-2-2-11 in my Abit NF7-S, but I sent them back due them producing errors at any speed.

One stick tested as defective, so Mushkin sent me a new gig. This time, the chips were Mosel. Such is the luck, but that's the gamble you take buying ram. Unfortunately, these wouldn't run stock either. I called Mushkin and got another RMA number. Just for the heck of it, I put them in my rig with 3.3v and was greeted by a two-tone siren on startup. That's when I figured out they were Mosel.

I went out of town several times, and upon coming back this last time, realized I still hadn't gotten around to sending in the RMA. I called back and got a new number, and I asked if it was possible to get a return with UTT chips still (there were some reports of UTT having compatability issues with the NF7's), as I had bought a gig of PC3500 Lvl 2 BH5 in the meantime to replace the sticks, and I was just going to try and sell them to get my money back (unfortunately I couldn't return them to Fry's, because when I got my first RMA back, Mushkin had given the Blue line new part numbers, so Fry's wouldn't accept them).

I was told that the Blues weren't being made with UTT anymore, but the rep said they would see what they could do. I was hopeful that maybe there were some leftovers for RMA's and such in "the backroom" somewhere - you know, that magical place that has all the stuff you just know must still be there someone for that special person.

Well, I got my return today. And I'm sorry to say that I did NOT get Mushkin Blues with UTT in them.

What I'm THRILLED to say, however, is that they sent me a pair of PC3200 Redlines as a replacement instead!!

I swear, I have never dealt with people as nice as the customer service at Mushkin before. I was already highly satisfied with the service and their products (as anyone with classic Mushkin BH5 likely is), but this just blew me away.

So I don't know what else to say, except thank you to all the Mushkin reps who might be reading this board, and man do I love you guys.

And in true overclocker spirit, I guess it would only be fair to hook these Redlines up to my new A64 setup as soon as the waterblock gets in so I can see what they do before I sell them. :D

- Dave

Results? I have some 3200 redline as well, mine are at 251mhz 2-3-2-6 daily 3.2v, and can do 254mhz at the same voltage.

Well, my NF7 tops out in the 230's from everything I've tried in the past, so nothing to post until my waterblock gets here and I can set up my new San Diego 4000+ on the DFI SLI-DR. Plus, like I said, I don't think UTT and my Abits get along very well, so even if I try some stuff with them, it's bound to show errors, it seems.

I'll post some results once I get the system put together. Just waiting on Swiftech and Sidewinder Computers to get me my orders now.

mushkin has always been a highly rated company but sad to say over the years ive never owned any.its been suggested many times tho to me.

but sooner or later i swear ill buy some as anymore i do base my purchases on the company that backs up thier products with great service.

This is why I bought 6 pairs of the 1GB PC3500 BH5's :)
Sadly I am down to my last pair, but I think until DDR is long dead I will hold onto em.

Last edited:
that is awesome, that completely made me glad that I bought Mushkin for this set of RAM.

They made me jump through so many hoops at frys & muskin to RMA my ram, and they never did refund the shipping charges, despite the fact that I have screen shots of each stick failing in two different computers in 7 total different ram slots. :shrug:

Sorry to hear that, David. I didn't deal with Fry's at all. Dounger told me to give Mushkin a call when I found one of the sticks wouldn't run stock, so that's what I did. They didn't refund the shipping or anything for the first set I sent back (not that I ever asked), but they did give me their FedEx account number when I sent the second set back so that I could ship freight collect and not have to pay anything, which I thought was rather nice, too.

There are bound to be problems with anything now and then. The real measure of a company's CS is how they deal with the problems. Thanks for letting us know Mushkin got it right, PerlAddict.

Thanks Perladdict
we are striving to be the best CS out there. we are working on some changes to better educated the user as well. Since we split from Ramtron, we can do more than before. We are now employee owned and operated.

Duonger

~2 years ago, I ordered 2x256 PC-3200 for my brand spanking new nForce2 board. They were having a special at the time, and I ended up getting my order in on the last day. Turns out, they must've run out of the 256mb modules in that special cause when I booted up I was shocked to see 1GB of RAM in my system.

Only downside was my friends that ordered in on the same deal were ****ed...

I bought 2x512 sticks of the pc3500 with bh-5 in them. one of the sticks came with the heatspreader apart at the end of it. I snapped it back together and the ram died. I am one lucky person and live 30 mins from mushkins sales headquarters and they tested the ram, confirmed it was bad, gave me a new matched pair of sticks, and gave me 2x256 sticks with bh-5 to what he referred to as "mess around with". What also gave me a good chuckle was when the rep told me that mushkin might not run its rated speeds at 2.6v and i might need to bump it up to 2.8.

Back