• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checkdisk won't let me defrag....HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I have 1 120gb hd in this system, partitioned into 3 partitions. for the past couple of weeks, I can't run defrag, cause I get an error saying checkdisk is scheduled for my data partition, even when I just restarted and ran checkdisk through with no errors or bad sectors. I'm using diskeeper, and uninstalled and reinstalled to try it that way, no dice. What would cause this?

Try manually scheduling Chkdsk to run on next boot. Open Explorer and right click the partition in question | Select 'Properties' | 'Tools' tab | Error-checking-->'Check Now' button | Under 'Check disk options', put a check next to 'Automatically fix file system errors', and click the 'Start' button | A disk check dialog will pop up asking if you'd like to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart your computer...select Yes | OK out of the Disk Checking windows, close Explorer, and restart your PC. I've found that this procedure normally overrides the dirty bit, and as such disables Chkdsk from running at each boot.

Back