• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy ****

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

OMFG.

Now, I don't see anything different, but please tell me what happened.

Okay, so today, I was talkin to shellshock from the forums. He turned on the webcam thing through AIM, so I started hookin up my capture setup (Dazzle DVC 80). When I plug the device into my front-bottom USB port, my computer instantly goes to a black screen (still sending out a signal), and the HDD LEDs stay lit constant. I was like WTF, so I unplugged the device, and then hit the power button. After I turned on my machine, I smelled burning electronics. It booted into BIOS, saying that:

CMOS Time/Date Error
CMOS Checksum Error
New CPU Detected!

F1 for setup
F2 for default values

ALL of my settings were erased. I had it setup so instead of showing an OEM logo, it showed POST results. Now it showed OEM logo, everything was messed up. Now, while the computer was rebooting (still on POST), I plugged the dazzle device back into the front-top USB port (I have 2 ports, the bottom/top, already tried the bottom). This time, instead of getting a black screen, my computer instantaneously shut off. I was scared ****less. Another CMOS Error, same errors as before.

Now, I unplugged the dazzle device, and plugged it into a rear USB port. Okay, that worked fine. Now, i'm keeping the front ports unoccupied. Everything seems to be working fine, but I wanna know what fried.

Any help?

Your either very brave, very dumb, or very rich for replugging in that device... twice... after smelling burning electronics.

My guess is is that something is physically wrong with the Front USB port (ie shorting out when you plug in a device)

Trombe said:
Your either very brave, very dumb, or very rich for replugging in that device... twice... after smelling burning electronics.

My guess is is that something is physically wrong with the Front USB port (ie shorting out when you plug in a device)

I plugged it in once after burning electronics LMFAO.

BTW, I don't see a single thing wrong visibly with my board. No melted MOSFETs, no burned ICs, nothin. PCB is spotless too.

I wouldn't say i'm brave, i'm poor too. guess i'm dumb =/

Pro*Banshee said:
when plugging the ports' headers into the motherboard, you probably got the order wrong, and it shorted out the ports on your mother baord

The thing is, they worked fine before.

I'm thinkin its the addition of a ghetto speaker

Have you had other devices pluged into front USB ports? I'm wondering if the wiring for the front ports is different. I have firewire and USB on the front of my case. The case USB wires worked with my MOBO but the firewire pinout was different.
You may have a wire pinched in your front cover. Check for burned wires under the cover. Check the hardware device manager in windows or SiSoft Sandra to see if there is a problem with your USB controllers.
I hope this helps,
Killa

Everything is working fine, 'cept the front ports. I'm guessing right now that my ghettoed speaker is screwing everything up. I took a piezo speaker from a spare motherboard with 2 posts, + and -. I soldered it to a 4-pin connector, and made go to this pinout on my board:

5v
GND
GND --connected to - of piezo speaker
Speaker --connected to + of piezo speaker

The front connectors used to work perfect before. Not a single messup. I'm gonna check the wiring tomorrow.

when plugging the ports' headers into the motherboard, you probably got the order wrong, and it shorted out the ports on your mother baord
That was my thought.

If you smelled burning, and everything seems to work fine, I would agree with Crimedog - probably burning somewhere in the little connection module area.

Like I said before, they worked fine before. They are plugged in correctly, trust me. I'm blaming it on the speaker till further inspection.

Okay, well the USB ports are physically intact, as are the wires and connectors. I'm so confused. The board looks fine, maybe something inside the PCB screwed up.

Back