• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP pro says no hardrive! Liar!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocean

Okay, here's the deal. Put new box together for my niece with the following components:

ASUS K8S-MX motherboard
Sempron 3100+ proc.
Western digital SATA 7200 rpm 80gb HD
Enermax 450w psu salvaged from another machine
512 pc3200 ram
Old toshiba cd rom prim ata as master
old floppy

Windows starts to do it's thing and then eventually tells me there is no hard drive present.
The drive is recognized in the bios
sata controller is enabled in the bios
I ran Western Digital utilities and the drive tests fine.
I have built several machines but never one with SATA.
Never had a problem before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance. :eh?:

you have to install the SATA drivers first. Look into your mobo manual and find out where you can copy the files from your mobo driver's CD to a floppy disk. Sometimes they have a "make driver disk" program too. Boot to windows installation, press F6 and install the drivers, after that win installation will recognize the SATA HD.

I'm a little unclear here, but is it doing it when you're trying to install? if so do you need to press f6 when it asks you to install third party controller drivers?

If its doing it on boot up... thats.. not right o_O

edit :damn, beaten to it

Hit F6 a crap load of times when it asks to install 3rdparty SCSI/Raid drives then it will ask you to insert the sata drivers floppy, do that and you'll be fine.

I believe I tried to do that yesterday but the drivers off the mobo cd would not fit on a floppy!
I'll look again at the disk thogh, maybe I missed something
Thanks for the replies! :cool:

ocean said:
I believe I tried to do that yesterday but the drivers off the mobo cd would not fit on a floppy!
I'll look again at the disk thogh, maybe I missed something
Thanks for the replies! :cool:

just built a box for myself using a sata hard drive. The mobo came with the drivers on a cd. You dont install all the drivers off the cd as it would not fit. You just install the ones to get you running at first. You make a floppy and like everyone said watch for the message and f6. The mobo should come with a manual. In the manual there was a special note for using sata and it gave instructions as to what files to copy. If you dont have a manual look online for that specific mobo and loading sata drivers at boot, there should be a post somewhere, but more than likely its in your instructions as well.

Sheeeesh!

It's finished. Just like you guys said. The last page of the silly manual said something about installing RAID drivers,but I was'nt doing the RAID thing. I found the floppy deal on the mobo disk and all is well now.

Thanks to all for the help!
:p
Later

ocean said:
It's finished. Just like you guys said. The last page of the silly manual said something about installing RAID drivers,but I was'nt doing the RAID thing. I found the floppy deal on the mobo disk and all is well now.

Thanks to all for the help!
:p
Later

My first SATA install went just like this. Scarey part was the Win98 install disk didn't require any SATA drivers to be installed, so when I went to later install XP on this machine, I didn't think it would need the drivers either.

So somehow between Win98 and XP, they removed support for the SATA ports on the new Intel Motherboard with the ATI chipset.

Heh! Heh!

Or better yet, maybe;

Win XP pro says no hardrive! Big Fat Liar!!
Win XP pro says no hardrive! Stupid Jerk!!
Win XP pro says no hardrive! Poop Head!!
Win XP pro says no hardrive! Meanie!!
Win XP pro says no hardrive! Dork Face!!
Win XP pro says no hardrive! Skat eater!!

And lastly,

Win XP pro says no hardrive! At least there is a place to turn to when you get in a jam!!
:beer:

Back