• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shipping FAQ: Stop complaining if you don't package your freaking boxes right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David Coleman

I've read countless rants about how a box got lost by those idiots at UPS or got smashed by the retards at DHL or got left at the wrong house by the tools at FedEx, and I just shake my head every time. I work at UPS, and have for a couple of years, and I've seen so many of these things happen, I admit. But, so many of them are preventable. Here are a couple of tips to prevent the most common screw UPS.

Tape - tape is your friend. Love tape. Use tape. Lots. One stripe of crappy paper tape will last, oh, about 10 minutes in any kind of humidity/heat/load. 3 stripes minimum on any flaps or opening. That's for a 1# package. Use more for heavier stuff. When I personally ship stuff, I cover the entire box with tape. Not only does this serve to keep the box closed and not popping open, it lets it slide down the chutes and belts better (instead of getting stuck and crushed by the 100# mini motor cycle in a box behind it). Use of good clear tape over the label prevents it from being scratched or rubbed off, which means it doesn't get lost or sent to Kalamazoo (or your neighbor).

Crappy tape:
  • White Paper Tape
    tmmm1777.jpg

• High-Performance Filament Tape
    tmmm1770.jpg

This tape has great tensile strength. And also becomes incredibly brittle and loses all adhesive under any amount of heat. I have seen countless boxes that came through open, with one piece of this tape flapping on the side.
  • Box Sealing Tape
    tmmm0691.jpg

This tape is stretch resistant. Which means it snaps when under load. Which means open box. Maybe good for sealing a box and putting it in a closet?
  • Gummed Kraft Sealing Tape
    tufs1386.jpg

This is the absolute worst. You are better off licking a piece of ribbon and putting it on the box. Tears easily (wet or dry), doesn't stick well, doesn't slide well. How they call it tape, I do not know.

Approved tape:
  • Super Strength Packaging Tape
    xmmm2026.jpg

This stuff is what we use cases of at work fixing other people's shoddy tape jobs. It sticks and stays, stretches enough to not snap, can be used over address labels or tracking labels

Tape alternatives
  • metal/plastic straps - if you tape on top of a strapped package, you're probably ok. But nobody does that. Straps are not, nor will ever be, a suitable substitute for good tape. They break frequently. They sometimes simply slide off (packages get smaller in the system, not bigger...). They provide monkey package handlers an opportunity to use only one hand to throw the package instead of properly handling it with two hands at opposite corners
  • wooden boxes - these work pretty good when nailed together. They tend to add alot of weight, and you probably have to pay for an Irregular shipment, but they survive pretty well
  • rubbermaid containers - these also work well, when the lid is secured with zipties through the edge or a lock. enough give, thick, durable tape-free shipping container
  • shrink wrap - comes off, because it's like using a whole roll of clear tape, but without the sticky part. Bad to use as a substitute, probably ok to use as a suppliment over a good taped box

That's all I have for now, but I'll try to add more general tips later.

Good writeup.

I'll make sure when I ship personal stuff out at work to mummify it in tape and will definitly make sure to get some tape over the label.

Kendan said:
you forgot the suggestion for UPS workers

1. Stop playing catch with our packages!

It's more like playing horseshoes than catch, but I assure you people get hammered for not handling boxes "hand to surface".

I'm sure you have seen the entire gamut of insufficient packaging. Beyond tape, we have the box itself, and the padding material used (or not used, as the case may be). People have unrealistic expectations of how their package will be handled as it progresses through any carrier's (nationwide) system, and rarely package things competently, much less in full compliance with UPS's published packaging mandates.

One of the most common examples run into by PC folk is that of computer cases (or entire systems, for that matter). The boxes computer cases are shipped in were never designed for individual UPS transit, but rather for their journey shrink-wrapped on a palette in the hold the proverbial slow boat from China. The overall size of the cardboard box is too small, leaving insufficient room for a thickness of styrofoam sufficient to survive the typical UPS journey. Additionally they are too thin, allowing puncture damage that would be prevented by sufficient packaging.

The cases get dropped somewhere along the line (from a height far less than UPS packaging mandates warn you of), and the case breaks or squashes the styrofoam and damages itself via contact with an unmovable object (usually the ground, or the floor of a truck). This is a simple case of insufficient packaging, and it happens over and over and over.

The worst part is this is often unavoidable. When even the most consciencious vendors like newegg ship a computer case, they don't enclose the original carton in a larger box with it's own padding, meaning damage is almost assured in transit. And the buyer can't affect the vendor's shipping practice. This leaves buying cases over the internet or via mail order an extreme risk, unless you are talking about one of the very few case brands that come packaged for rough handling.

In my work as a PC builder, I lived out of the back of a UPS truck for a decade. I know UPS well, and most of what I have seen is that it is a good company staffed by very hard-working, consciencious, and helpful people. All my regular UPS drivers were amongst my best allies in getting my days computer's built, and my relationship with them was almost uniformly excellent.

There are times though, were you see things via UPS (or any carrier) that seem unnecessarily harsh or careless. But there is no carrier you can select that precludes this possibility. And if you read their packaging mandates, you find that essentially all bad results would have been prevented if the package in question truly met them.

UPS handles stuff roughly. It is inherent in a delivery service that deals in the volume UPS does for the prices UPS charges. Other shipping companies are really no different, it's all a matter of luck. Unless you package your stuff correctly, at which point even the roughest handling is highly unlikely to damage anything.

We demand the lowest possible prices, and these are the natural consequences. Rather like those that complain about Wal-Mart's methods, it's very hypocritcal. We vote for the method of business with our wallets, and then complain when it isn't perfect. UPS does as good a job as any business can within the cost restraints we ourselves condition our business with them on.

larva said:
I'm sure you have seen the entire gamut of insufficient packaging. Beyond tape, we have the box itself, and the padding material used (or not used, as the case may be). People have unrealistic expectations of how their package will be handled as it progresses through any carrier's (nationwide) system, and rarely package things competently, much less in full compliance with UPS's published packaging mandates.

One of the most common examples run into by PC folk is that of computer cases (or entire systems, for that matter). The boxes computer cases are shipped in were never designed for individual UPS transit, but rather for their journey shrink-wrapped on a palette in the hold the proverbial slow boat from China. The overall size of the cardboard box is too small, leaving insufficient room for a thickness of styrofoam sufficient to survive the typical UPS journey. Additionally they are too thin, allowing puncture damage that would be prevented by sufficient packaging.

The cases get dropped somewhere along the line (from a height far less than UPS packaging mandates warn you of), and the case breaks or squashes the styrofoam and damages itself via contact with an unmovable object (usually the ground, or the floor of a truck). This is a simple case of insufficient packaging, and it happens over and over and over.

The worst part is this is often unavoidable. When even the most consciencious vendors like newegg ship a computer case, they don't enclose the original carton in a larger box with it's own padding, meaning damage is almost assured in transit. And the buyer can't affect the vendor's shipping practice. This leaves buying cases over the internet or via mail order an extreme risk, unless you are talking about one of the very few case brands that come packaged for rough handling.

In my work as a PC builder, I lived out of the back of a UPS truck for a decade. I know UPS well, and most of what I have seen is that it is a good company staffed by very hard-working, consciencious, and helpful people. All my regular UPS drivers were amongst my best allies in getting my days computer's built, and my relationship with them was almost uniformly excellent.

There are times though, were you see things via UPS (or any carrier) that seem unnecessarily harsh or careless. But there is no carrier you can select that precludes this possibility. And if you read their packaging mandates, you find that essentially all bad results would have been prevented if the package in question truly met them.

UPS handles stuff roughly. It is inherent in a delivery service that deals in the volume UPS does for the prices UPS charges. Other shipping companies are really no different, it's all a matter of luck. Unless you package your stuff correctly, at which point even the roughest handling is highly unlikely to damage anything.

We demand the lowest possible prices, and these are the natural consequences. Rather like those that complain about Wal-Mart's methods, it's very hypocritcal. We vote for the method of business with our wallets, and then complain when it isn't perfect. UPS does as good a job as any business can within the cost restraints we ourselves condition our business with them on.

All three cased I have ordered from Newegg have come damaged in some way. So thats a good point you made. Always comes dented or something. What I dont understand though is how a case can come scratched. If its in the box with clear wrap around it and then styrofoam around it, how in the heck does it get scratched? Makes no sense to me.

Also I think most of the complaints about UPS are related to shipping times. This is because most people when shipping with UPS will not receive their package until the date it is due to be delivered. Not only that, but UPS ground is the same or at most times more then Fedex Express Saver and the Fedex method is quicker. Also u hear about people getting their package early a lot more from Fedex then you do from UPS.

Awhile back my Father shipped a computer to me for my birthday. I was about 13 years old at the time. He shipped the computer via UPS Overnight. After getting the tracking number from my Dad about three days later since I was wondering where it was, it had been delivered. Funny thing is we never signed for it and my Dad made sure it needed a signature. Well, turns out UPS delivered it to the wrong house. Wasnt even on the same street. The label clearly said all of the correct information but for some reason delivered my package to the wrong home. Maybe it was lazyness? Maybe the driver was on drugs? Maybe he accidently picked up the wrong box? Well if he did pick up the wrong box, atleast check at the door when you give it to someone. Maybe if the people he delivered it too were a little more ethical, that wouldn't have happened, but its not their fault, its the driver's fault.

IMO I hate UPS. I will never ship with them again. Not because of that one incident, but because of many more after. Fedex is the way to go IMO. The two drivers that deliver to my area both know me and its great. They always make sure to get my packages here on time, but even better, usually early.

Bon3thugz43v3r said:
All three cased I have ordered from Newegg have come damaged in some way. So thats a good point you made. Always comes dented or something. What I dont understand though is how a case can come scratched. If its in the box with clear wrap around it and then styrofoam around it, how in the heck does it get scratched? Makes no sense to me.
As newegg only ships fed-ex, you seem to be overly complimentary of them.

If you deal with all these companies for long enough, you will find things you hate about fed-ex too. Like the fact that they will get packages 2000 miles in 18 hours (to a point 12 miles from my door), and then it takes me 3-4 days to get the damn box out of their hands. I have countless examples of them putting my stuff on a truck for delivery, driving it around all day, marking it "not due for delivery" at 4.30pm, and taking it back to the center. In most cases UPS is slower state-state, but if it's in town, they bust *** to get it delivered. FedEx only busts *** state-to-state so they can twiddle thumbs for days locally.

If you deal with all these companies for long enough, you will find things you hate about fed-ex too. Like the fact that they will get packages 2000 miles in 18 hours (to a point 12 miles from my door), and then it takes me 3-4 days to get the damn box out of their hands. I have countless examples of them putting my stuff on a truck for delivery, driving it around all day, marking it "not due for delivery" at 4.30pm, and taking it back to the center. In most cases UPS is slower state-state, but if it's in town, they bust *** to get it delivered. FedEx only busts *** state-to-state so they can twiddle thumbs for days locally.

True enough. When I worked downtown in a large city, I routinely got things early from FedEx because those guys might dump an entire truck in one building. It was easy enough to stop my with mine. Now that I work from home, it gets marked not due for delivery because my driver now is running all over the place in neighborhoods.

I have to thank FedEx though, they delivered my Stacker from Newegg in the original factory packaging without a single dent, scratch or mark of any kind. It looked like it just left Coolermaster. :thup:

Back