• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my RAM broken or does my mem controller suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeen

I use to run my Patriot XBL's at 275 MHz at 2.5-3-3-7. I tried to push it some more and it crashed. I had to clear the CMOS and start over. Then I started working on my CAS 2 setting just for a change. Well now my RAM won't run at CAS 2.5 timings or 3 for that matter. Only 2. If I try to set it in the BIOS it won't boot. If I change it via A64 tweaker it freezes then reboots. I don't have any other RAM to test. 2-3-3-6 isn't too shabby at 255MHz but if I'm confined to Cas 2 I might as well pick up some Value VX or something.

So does it sound like the RAM or my mem controller? Or is it impossible to say?

Only way to figure it out is to test each stick individually. If it was a bad memory controller it wouldn't work in the first place to start with.

Hmm yeah, well I only have the one 512MB stick, should have made that clear. I guess I'll just get some UTT or something. That way I'm safe no matter what the problem is.

Doesn't it seem just as likely that the RAM would only have partial capability as the mem controller having partial capability? I'm not really hoping for one or the other, well no that's not true I'd like it to be the cpu so that I can sell the RAM here, with cofidence.:)

Thanks for the reply.

Skeen said:
Hmm yeah, well I only have the one 512MB stick, should have made that clear. I guess I'll just get some UTT or something. That way I'm safe no matter what the problem is.

Doesn't it seem just as likely that the RAM would only have partial capability as the mem controller having partial capability? I'm not really hoping for one or the other, well no that's not true I'd like it to be the cpu so that I can sell the RAM here, with cofidence.:)

Thanks for the reply.

If you have a faulty mem controller you may experience all kinds of abnormal behavior..... ie; not being able to boot up with 2 sticks of ram, not being able to boot up in specific mem slots, etc. Whenever you have to go through the task of troubleshooting you just have to use as many spare parts as possible and eliminate the possibilities. Long, boring task I know but that's what you're left with.

Otter said:
What power supply do you have on that rig, Skeen?

Its not a great psu but I have an Antec 400W Smartpower. I thought about getting another one but all my rails are strong at full load. 5.0, 11.98, and 3.3. I have 2 hard drives and 1 optical. Other than my gfx card, that's it. So I don't think its psu related but I'm willing to entertain that idea if that's what someone thinks.

HousERaT said:
If you have a faulty mem controller you may experience all kinds of abnormal behavior..... ie; not being able to boot up with 2 sticks of ram, not being able to boot up in specific mem slots, etc. Whenever you have to go through the task of troubleshooting you just have to use as many spare parts as possible and eliminate the possibilities. Long, boring task I know but that's what you're left with.

Yeah I figured that, but without the hardware I was looking for some advice first before I run out and buy a bunch of stuff. I guess that may be unavoidable.

cripy said:
test your memory, go to www.suse.com download the suse 9.3 pro boot disk and when it boots up run the memory tester.

I take it this is different than Memtest86? I'll give it a try, thanks.

The reason I ask about the PSU is that sometimes you get memory errors because the memory controller isn't getting enough power. It does sound like you're okay there, but if all else fails, you might want to measure the voltage with a physical voltmeter -- unless, of course, that's where you go the numbers you game :)

One reason for abberant behavior after a crash would be BIOS corruption. Have you reflashed your BIOS since the weirdness started?

Otter said:
The reason I ask about the PSU is that sometimes you get memory errors because the memory controller isn't getting enough power. It does sound like you're okay there, but if all else fails, you might want to measure the voltage with a physical voltmeter -- unless, of course, that's where you go the numbers you game :)

Oh yeah the numbers were from my multimeter, should have specified.

Otter said:
One reason for abberant behavior after a crash would be BIOS corruption. Have you reflashed your BIOS since the weirdness started?

I'm going to try the Suse memory tester first but if that doesn't work, I'll try to reflash, thanks.

Otter said:

That is where my vote goes. I find it very hard to believe that you harmed a stick pushing it higher. If you went way up on the voltage, it is possible...but this sounds too strange for that. Re-flash that bios and see what's going on. Get the bios with memtest built in as well and save yourself some time :)

-Collin-

I'm using Jesse's 4v vdimm BIOS that has Memtest built in. Its sort of hard to use this option for my problem, since it won't boot at cas 2.5 or 3. Ok I'll try the reflash first.

Very strange. :confused:

Okay, why is it that healthy RAM sometimes doesn't like looser timings? I've never quite understood that, but it might have some bearing on this problem.

Skeen, if you could find another system to try the RAM in, or other RAM to try in your system, that might shed some light. I figure that if that was easy, you'd have done it already though.

Have you talked to PDP about this at all?

Otter said:
Skeen, if you could find another system to try the RAM in, or other RAM to try in your system, that might shed some light. I figure that if that was easy, you'd have done it already though.

Have you talked to PDP about this at all?

No I don't have an appropriate computer to try the RAM in (ie. one that has overclocking options, RAM timing options, ect.) nor do I have any other RAM. I think I may just get some OCZ Value VX and just work with tight timings, instead of buying more TCCD only to find that I still can't use loose timings.

I may try to contact PDP, that's a good idea, though I'm not sure if they can help me anymore than you guys, due to my inability to completely test the computer.

I was just hoping one of you would say something like, "Oh that? That sounds like the so and so," or whatever. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
OK I got some RAM from a friends computer. Booted at 166MHz 2.5-3-3-6 with the borrowed RAM. Patriot RAM cannot boot at that speed. I guess the RAM is faulty. I guess it might be for sale soon in the Classifieds. 2-3-3-6 at 250MHz isn't too bad I guess.

Maybe I'll contact PDP first....

That is very strange. :confused: I'm not even sure what sort of damage would produce those results. If PDP has anything enlightening to say about it, please pass it on.

Back