• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC or Non ECC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from another forums:

ECC RAM is error checking RAM. It is not necessarily for servers alone. Many high performance computers/motherboards will accept either ECC or Non-ECC RAM. Check the system board specs to determine what type it will accept. You will pay more for ECC than you will for non-ECC RAM. Perhaps more importantly when using the new 64bit processors on a system board, you need to check the RAM for it's CAS Latency rating. It is possible to buy high quality RAM, ECC or not, that will not allow a computer to boot because the CAS Latency rating is not compatible with the PROCESSOR. Be careful and spend extra time to research for the appropriate RAM. Also, forget about trying to save money by buying it online from the most inexpensive place possible. Do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable dealer who allows you to return and exchange if you have difficulty with your purchase. I recently built a new 64bit system and purchased all of my components from NewEgg online. I've spent the last 17 years working on a technical basis in the computer industry and even I needed to take advantage of the return/exchange availability.

Hope that helped cause I read this awhile back and thought that it might help you.

yeah don't forget though there is a performance loss when using ECC though, I'm not sure how big or small either.

Thank you for the info it help's.The reason why I asked,was somebody on ebay was selling a gig of ecc disgustingly cheap & I was curious.Thanx again

I used 2 x 512 Crucial ECC on my p4c800e (i875 chipset). I'm really impressed by performance, very close to regular RAM, the penalty is very tiny, about 1-2% in benchmark. The crucial is single-side so the performance is not the best for the chipset, but notwithstanding very fast.
Currently the Crucial sell it at nearly the same price of regular DDR, very strange.
The sticks even overclock pretty fine, pushed at 217 1:1 PAT=on, 3-3-3-8 (the stock settings) without trouble.

Back