• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to set the setting in BIOS on a P5WD2 premium so I can install windows!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

postaldudeleo

My new 2000 buck system is assembled and it crashes during windows setup!

I have narrowed it down to something with my hard drive and the setting. On default bios, it crashes after windows finishes loading the drivers and the little wording says starting windows. Then i get an error on the blue screen of death.

How do i get the mobo to correctly set the 160 gb western digital hard drive so windows can format it and intall? I tried windows xp pro 32-bit and 64-bit version also.

Help? :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

I just posted this in another thread.

If this is a sata drive then it should connect to one of the two red sata board connectors. The trick is you have to set the bios with the correct settings. Go into IDE configuration and set configure SATA setting to standard IDE if not using raid. Next keep on enhanced mode and S-ATA unless not using a serial hd. Then F6 during XP to install your ITE8211 drivers on your supplied motherboard cd or from ASUS (I used a floppy). Use the make disk function for this and follow instructions.

Yea I was about to mention that. To get the drivers you have to pull them from the install CD and change them to floppy.

Sentential said:
Yea I was about to mention that. To get the drivers you have to pull them from the install CD and change them to floppy.

It took me awhile to figure that out. I couldn't find anything about this online and it's not so clear in the manual. Hard to follow (Tiawanenglish) :)

The memory settings are new to me also. (eg. DDR2-667 instead of 1:2)

mjgent said:
It took me awhile to figure that out. I couldn't find anything about this online and it's not so clear in the manual. Hard to follow (Tiawanenglish) :)

The memory settings are new to me also. (eg. DDR2-667 instead of 1:2)
Man I hate that.... yea only reason I found that out was by reading the manual of my first i955X (Gigabyte)

I jsut set mine up and I am using the Maxtor Diamondmax 10 Sata HDD. It was recognized immediately and I did nt have to install any 3rd party drivers? I am using an XP SP2 install disk, not sure if it makes a difference!

Surfrat said:
I jsut set mine up and I am using the Maxtor Diamondmax 10 Sata HDD. It was recognized immediately and I did nt have to install any 3rd party drivers? I am using an XP SP2 install disk, not sure if it makes a difference!

Maybe? I was using XP pre SP1.

Can an IDE dvd burner be put on the blue port because bios doen't sense the cd/dvd burner in bios. I checked microsoft's site and the STOP 0x0000007B crash can be caused by windows incorrectly recognizing the drive from which the disk is spuna nd in turn affect the detection of the hard drive.

I'm almost sure it can be connected to the blue ide port. I actually have a second ide hd on the blue connector. I have a dvd-r and a 52x cd on one of the red ide connectors. I did notice that it wouldn't detect the dvd or cd unless I jumped them as cable select (CS).

Whats a cable select? (i've never changed any jumpers except on clear cmos and
the alarm sensors.)

But the blue port I noticed isn't missing a pin like the EIDE connectors so I can't hook up any hard drive cables nor dvd drive cables.

mjgent said:
I'm almost sure it can be connected to the blue ide port. I actually have a second ide hd on the blue connector. I have a dvd-r and a 52x cd on one of the red ide connectors. I did notice that it wouldn't detect the dvd or cd unless I jumped them as cable select (CS).

Interesting, I tried hooking up 2 ide optical drives to the blue connector and it would only detect one, I'm going to have to connect them to a red one!

But how do I switch the jumper so it would detect it, o and can somebody outline the difference between the three different jumpers on the dvd-r please?

The jumpers I was referring to is on the back of the hd itself. The same for the cd and dvd drives. It's usually the farthest set of pins but you'll have to check the exact info for your drive. It's either on the drive case, with the manual, or on the manuf. web site.

Cable select, master, or slave. Cable select (automatic) sets the master/slave configuration based on what drive is connected in the middle of the cable vs. what's on the end. Although the jumpers on the drives have to be set to CS.

cripy I noticed you have an 830 on the P5ND2. I thought that board wouldn't work with a dual core CPU. Does it recognize it as a dual core or does it only work as a single core?

Back