• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Newegg customer reviews worthless?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I bought a KVM switch some months ago with which I am now disappointed. I took a moment to post a review at Newegg's website to warn other buyer's of the problems I experienced. BTW, this is for the following KVM switch ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817107608 )

While reading the reviews, I saw that there were other complaints of screen flicker and I felt like other people should know that there are other people who have experienced the same type issues.

My best guess is that Newegg didn't like my last line of "This was a wasted purchase"... but I'm not sure which rule that violates in the "What NOT to include in your submission" section.

I guess my point is that after having my review rejected, it makes me very leery of basing any of my purchase decisions on NewEgg customer reviews. Overwhelmingly, reviews at NewEgg tend to be glowingly positive. We all know that not ALL products are great and NewEgg sells their share of duds -- it can't be avoided in retail. If NewEgg tends to filter out things that don't paint a rosy picture, do these reviews really do much good?

Perhaps the NewEgg rep who posts here can provide some feedback. What exactly was wrong with the review that I've pasted below. I understand that it is NewEgg's decision as to what gets posted and what doesn't. If my review was over the top, I'd like to see a revised version of my review that would express dissatisfaction with the product and *would* make it through NewEgg's review system.

A customer review section is only meaningful if both happy and unhappy customers are represented.

Thanks!
Mitch

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate your business and thank you for your product review.

Newegg.com moderates products reviews to ensure that all commentary complies with our Submission Guidelines. Because we receive 500-1000+ product reviews each day, it is essential to screen customers' analysis to make certain inappropriate content is never posted to our website. Our product review Submission Guidelines have been provided below for your reference.

PRODUCT REVIEW SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
========================================================
Newegg.com moderates all review submissions to ensure that only reviews that offer helpful insight are published.*

What to include in your submission:
-Experiences with a fully-functional product leading to perceived pros and cons**
-Thoughts about the product's feature-set as you've experienced it

What NOT to include in your submission:
-Profanity, obscenity and other offensive language
-Single-word reviews
-Non product-specific reviews
-Any mention of Newegg.com's competitors by name
-URLs, specific pricing, and specific availability (or other time-sensitive information)
-Experiences with a DOA, defective, damaged or otherwise semi-functional product**
-Reviews that criticize the brand or reseller without a majority of the review offering product-specific insight

*Newegg.com reserves the right to accept or reject any review in its sole and absolute own discretion
**DOA's (Dead On Arrival) are an unavoidable aspect of any business model that involves direct shipment to customers. Please understand that Newegg.com ships only products it assumes to be functional and that any defective product you may have received was either damaged in transit or was anomalous.

Unfortunately your review was deemed unsuitable by our site moderators. Because your critique is important to the Newegg.com community, we wanted to give you the opportunity to look over your review so that you may remove any objectionable content and resubmit it for posting. Please also make certain you do not use any of the following words or symbols: Select, Insert, Update, Delete, Drop or --.

Your experiences with our products lend valuable insight to all visitors to our site. We look forward to reading and subsequently posting your revised review. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us.

DECLINED REVIEW
This thing causes eye strain. It wasn't very noticable at first, but after a few nights of headaches I saw that this KVM switch is causing screen flicker and a slight shakyness in my picture. I'm running two boxes, one with an ATI 9800 Pro and the other is an All-In-Wonder card. These are common video cards, using the current monitor and video card drivers... the flicker goes away when I plug my monitor directly into my video card.

Also, I'm not real crazy about the fact that this KVM switch uses a single USB port for both my mouse and keyboard. It means that I have to plug in my keyboard and mouse directly to my PC if I want to boot up and go into setup.

This was a wasted purchase.

Kindest regards,
Newegg.com Customer Care
EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 1-800-390-1119

it looks like a legit review by newegg standards scratch the last line though, but i am slightly curious about the moderation level on those reviews...

-Reviews that criticize the brand or reseller without a majority of the review offering product-specific insight
They might have a shot of taking out your review based on that line, but it's still pretty shaky grounds on which to not post your review.

I think they just have a problem with your last line.
I've had similair experiences, but they fit in the guidelines. They don't normally post the bad reviews.

I am pretty sure they used this part of their guidelines to reject your review:

-Experiences with a DOA, defective, damaged or otherwise semi-functional product**

Kendan said:
I am pretty sure they used this part of their guidelines to reject your review:

That sound right to me. And if you did recieve a defective, damaged or otherwise semi-functional product, RMA that sucker.

The cant deny your RMA. Newegg just denied your review because the product is defective.

They are worthless. I'd wager that 75% of the people that use newegg are clueless.

Where is the NewEgg guy? People need to be saved from making the same mistake I did (buying a Zonet KVM switch)!

I wrote up a review on a case one time.

I noticed one of the previous reviewers said that one of the back 92mm fans was "whisper quiet" or something to that effect - which was totally bogus - so I wanted to submit my review and set the record straight. I told them I really liked the case, and even reccommended it, but I did mention that the fan in the back was actually rather loud. My review was passed over, I even followed their guideline on how to submit a review!

Now that could of just been a fluke thing, since I have seen plenty of bad reviews, but it sure as hell þissed me off that my review was passed up and others just kept rolling in! I haven't made another purchase there since, but sometimes little crap like this influences my decisions. And yes, I know they have the right to turn down any review. However, I have plenty of other options on the internet and I'm not afraid to go elsewhere. Our "other options" should keep these internet vendors honest.

Why þiss off a future customer (even on something minute), it's not like any one vender on the internet is the only game in town...

Semi-rant, over.

I apologize for my delayed response to this issue. This seems to be ok to post, but I cannot know until I find out directly from our product support team. I will be investigating this and I will see about getting it posted. Every customer should be aware of this and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank You,
Jason, Newegg Customer Support

newegg reviews are a joke ... and i got the proof !!

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA=0&Item=N82E16814127150

scroll to 7/13/05 ...

WOW ... This thing is a beast. Im using a Fx-85 OC'ed to 140.2Ghz on liquid nitro cooling as well, and corsair 200GB ddr3 3330, all on a handmade mobo. I have 20 1500GB 100,000rpm HDD's. I ordered 12 of these to apply SLtriple-I, all overclocked to 2400/15300 on liquid nitro cooling, and this thing flies. I get 182,988 on 3dmark07 and 1,722fps on bf2. Temp stays under 232K under load. As usual, newegg delivered these even before i ordered them. Very satisfied, will buy again.

then there are 2 other "reviews" commenting on tht review :shrug:

but u gotta admit its VERY VERY FUNNY

Those guys are joking around. Obviously the newegg people are not reading a lot of them, thought it would be funny to include, or figure that it would make it look like the reviews aren't reviewed first.
I'd be willing to bet most people who order from newegg don't review anythign and as such don't realize they're moderated this much. I know I didn't.

Take the reviews for what they are worth. Some are good and easy to spot. Some just want to see thier words on teh intarweb. I will leave Joe Sixpack out of this, he did nothing wrong.. this time.. lol

Half the people doing reviews there have no clue what the rating even means. Most of the negative reviews I read will say "newegg rocks!" at the bottom of the review. Sometimes these negative reviews with "newegg rocks!" at the bottom give 5 stars to the item being reviewed, like somehow rating the product low reflects bad on neweggs ability to rock?

i just got a pretty legit (in my mind) review declined as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855997717

my review:
recieved this and spent an hour trying to find a suitable station. when i
thought i found one that would work well, i turned on the music and there was
always a high pitched noise in the background. it was very noticeable. i have
talked to others and they have noted the same problem. maybe it's just because
i am near a larger city and there aren't many open radio channels. i was using
this in a hyundai elantra, which might have also contributed, but people with
other vehicles have also noted the noise. it may be one of the better FM
transmitters on the market, but thats like saying it's the best of the worst.

if your car is supported, i would recommend either a tape adapter or an AUX
input converter. these solutions are 100 times better than any FM transmitter.

i'm just trying to save some poor souls from buying this thing and then not being able to return it to newegg because "This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only" (the situation i am in right now).

Ya there useless you should see the review i wrote for the fx-57, I wanted to see how good their screening was I said something about overclock to like 54ghz but I couldnt verify the shot because the bench was too extreme to boot into windows and that I had like to 500gb wd 15k rpm hds, and ddr2 1000ghz lol if your bored go take a look some time

Back