• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR MOSFET problems.. :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanometer

Registered
Before I begin, I would like to say I know I made a mistake and I wont ever do it again. First off my motherboard is a P4C800 Deluxe. I had copper heatsinks on all my mosfets, and I wanted to test my voltage on my Vdimm before I upgraded my ram to 4000 VX. When I was using the probe I tried to push it underneath the copper heatsink and it came loose, so I pulled( oops). I know had the Mosfet dangling by one leg, split in half. I didnt power the computer on, I didn't want to risk anything. I know have to find a Mosfet for this motherboard. The Mosfet is made by a company locaed in China, of course, by a company named APEC or Advanced Powered Electronics C. The mosfet model number is AP9918H I've found it on their website, and I'm sad to report that it costs about a few bucks for the actual component, and 150 dollars to ship. Is there any possible subsitute, or do I have to keep looking for a used/ dead motherboard.( somone can point me in the right direction :) and I've tried Ebay already). My really not looking to upgrade, since I just upgraded my ram 2 days ago, and my CPU about 4 months ago. I've had lots of experience working on motherboards, and I'm just interested in getting that one part. Thanks for your guy's help in advance.

P.S. Sorry if there were spelling mistakes, I am in a rush. Thanks!

Short of having it put on a slow boat from China, I think finding a used/dead MB is your best bet. I've never seen a comparison list/chart for MOSFETS.

I've done every volt mod there is on my motherboard, is it worth buying a used one and just transfering the mods? Or even purchase a P4c800 E Deluxe? Right now it seems my only options is to either find a dead one, which I have no idea how, or just buy a whole new one.

You might be able to find the same mosfet on another board. DO a little digging and look around at some local stores. Once you find a board with the same mosfet, you should be able to find a dead board a lot easier since you will most likely have a few to choose from.

I might find an A7V8X-X, I know ASUS is consistent with using parts. But I don't know how to find out if it is the same part, I can't exsactly buy it to look. lol I'm so desperate :(

Nanometer said:
I might find an A7V8X-X, I know ASUS is consistent with using parts. But I don't know how to find out if it is the same part, I can't exsactly buy it to look. lol I'm so desperate :(

When I buy motherboards I ask the guy if he can open it so I can get a look at the layout of the board. That's how you can look at the part.

The thing with motherboard boxes are they don't have any seals to break so they can always resell it.

Wow, thanks! I'm gonna check out all the ASUS motherboards at my local store! :D Wish me luck!

I looked on a dead A7N8X-deluxe that I have laying around and the mosfets are not the same. So you can probably rule out that model.

I really think that the MOSFET model doesn't matter that much as long as you get a MOSFET with the same characteristics. That's easier to do as long as you get it from a board designed with the same number of PWM stages and wattage expectations.

Tebore, I was trying to do that in desperation. The problem is that I don't know nearly enough about MOSFETs. I do have some information on the stats of the MOSFETs. If I give all the stats on the mosfet I know could someone give me a sugestion? Please:)?

Remove the broken one from your board in one piece if at all possible. Then take it with you as a guide when looking around. In most cases you'll have to go by size and shape as opposed to being able to see actual info on the mosfet. Once you find a match you'll be able to go from there. Also try taking it to Radio Shack and see if they have access to what you need.

I would try to go to a local electronics repair shop and tell them what mosfet you have. And ask if they have one or one with identical characteristics that you can buy.

I checked in my local PC repair this morning, and didn't have any dead ASUS mobos ATM.

Here is their website for the MOSFET http://www.a-power.com.tw/ the model number is listed both as AP9918H and 9918H

9918H
TO252, N-MOS, 20V, low gate drive, Rds(on) < 14 m£[ for DDR switching regulator

This next page gives some more stats that i have no idea what they are it is the thirf row down. http://www.a-power.com.tw/products_05.htm

Mouser, newark, nor digikey have the exact MOSFET, but that doesn't mean they have a sub.

Last edited:
Ok, I've solved the problems, I ordered a used p4c800 for 38 bucks off ebay. I'll probably redo all my mods and see if i get a better overclock.

Back