• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Noises :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritek

I've had this Abit IC7-G Max2 mobo for about 1 month and now sometimes when i boot up i hear this like grinding noise.. which from what i've read around here.. makes me think this stock NB cooler is going out.

Anyway Abit would replace this?

Yeah, it's pretty common for that little SOB to die within a month or three. Mine lasted six weeks. I just removed the fan from the NB sink and let the outflow from my CPU cooler (Zalman 7700Cu) take care of the NB. What HSF are you running on your CPU?

Im just running a standard heatsink w/ a spire fan that is smaller than 80mm.

You really don't need to replace that fan. All you have to do is this...

1. Remove NB Cooler
2. Clean Gum Off of Interface
3. Clean NB (clean it carefully!)
4. Remove 3 Screws That Hold NB Fan to HS (don't loose those screws)
5. Remove Sticker From the Back of Fan (where the wires are)
6. Put a Drop of Light Oil In the Center Where The Bushing Is (3 in 1 Oil is good)
7. Spin Fan Real Good For Awhile
8. Take a Paper Towel and Small Instrument and Clean and Extra Oil That Has Pooled In The Back.
9. Replace Sticker
10. Replace Fan Onto HS
11. Apply Some AS5 to the NB
12. Replace NB Assembly Being VERY careful not to scratch or chip the NB.

Do be very careful with the NB. Treat it like a GPU. If you chip the core, your mobo is dead. This obviously is not covered under warranty if you kill it. I've done mine once, and since then it hasn't needed it. If it sounds like a hornets nest in there, it's probably the NB cooler.

Back