• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 FSB:Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xirtaIVI

My FSB on my intel board is 100MHZ but im running my memory at 266mhz -DDR2100..

I have two chips

1-512 mb pc2100

2-256 mb pc2100

I want the frequency of both at 100mhz(200mhz ddr) but according to CPU-z it doesnt show me that I can change the 256 chip to 100mhz only 133mhz.

My question is...Would it be better to run a 512 memory at 1:1 or to run 768 at 3:4 my meory being faster than the FSB.

My chip is a 1.6 p4 :p

Thnx in advanced

:welcome: xirtaIVI.

If you use more than 512MB of RAM, you'll get much better performance from the 768MB setup. When the CPU has to wait for the hard drive, that will slow things down much more than the worst stable memory configuration.

If you don't use more than half a gig, the extra RAM won't make any difference, and I'm not really sure if the extra bandwidth will overcome the latency penalty for running asynchronously or not. (I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Intel.)

I think you can probably run all your sticks at 100MHz, though. Underclocking shouldn't be a problem. I'd ignore CPU-Z, set the memory frequency to 100MHz in BIOS, and find out. :)

Thnx for the welcome and the input. I did some subtle benchmarking with 3dmark 03 and 2001. I always got better scores with more ram and a faster frequency on the memory(ddr266-133mhz). Are there any other tests to to see which settings are optimal? I'm just trying to milk my machine for what its worth until I decide to make an AMD rig(already have the money), that is if prices go down for those highend vid cards.

I'm not sure what your BIOS will let you do, but you might try overclocking the CPU by raising the FSB. :)

xirtaIVI said:
Thnx for the welcome and the input. I did some subtle benchmarking with 3dmark 03 and 2001. I always got better scores with more ram and a faster frequency on the memory(ddr266-133mhz). Are there any other tests to to see which settings are optimal? I'm just trying to milk my machine for what its worth until I decide to make an AMD rig(already have the money), that is if prices go down for those highend vid cards.

I use Aquamark to test out my system. It seems to crash quicker if I overclock too high. My ram is running faster than my fsb and I get better results in Aquamark than when it's running slower.

Back