• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much should I for a new computer with this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxipoo

I'm thinking about getting the following.

Athlon 64 3000+ or slightly faster
6800gt
dfi gf4 ultra mobo
2 HDs in raid 0

Now, I can't decide on ram, should I get 1 gig of corsair XMS ram, 1.5gig of corsair valueselect ram? both are about $130 right now. If I should go for quantity, should i get 2 gigs of valueselect ram then? thats about $30 more.

I will be using the computer for games and watching movies mainly. No editing and I tend to run a lot of applications in the background.

Thanks.

Well since you will be using this computer for games I would suggest that you get some BH5 chips that will do low timings but with higher voltages which your mobo that you are planning to get will supply. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from using 3 or 4 sticks of RAM since you are a gamer, you will be better off with just two sticks in DC.
Also the reason I recommended BH5 is because you can find some OCZ Value BH5 sticks for about the same price and the games love low timings.

RedDragonXXX said:
Well since you will be using this computer for games I would suggest that you get some BH5 chips that will do low timings but with higher voltages which your mobo that you are planning to get will supply. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from using 3 or 4 sticks of RAM since you are a gamer, you will be better off with just two sticks in DC.
Also the reason I recommended BH5 is because you can find some OCZ Value BH5 sticks for about the same price and the games love low timings.

which OCZ sticks use BH5 chips? I won't be overclocking this thing much, it gets pretty hot in my room (90 degrees+) so it won't last if I OC it. $120 is a good price point for me and I want at least 1 gig of ram.

RedDragonXXX said:

Why is this so?

More then 2 sticks of RAM usually means you have to loosen some timings. Games and benchmarks generally benefit well from tight timings, more so then more then 1gb of RAM as very few games currently take advantage of it. (Though, like anything else, it is the way of the future. Like I said, there aren't many games yet, but more will be coming)

noxipoo said:
those are too expensive, anything you guys can recommend thats cheaper? I'd like to stick to $120-$160 at the most.
those are 139$ :shrug:

i'd get the 3200+ if you are going with UTT ram, and i'd drop the 6800GT and get an x800xl because there are great deals on it

Back