• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Sticks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

Just when I thought it was stable. BAM!
After running problem free my P4 rig rebooted unexpectedly while surfing FireFox. This rig had been running UnitedDevices(grid) and Folding for over 24 hours before the event occured. My CPU has gone from 47C to 50C since Feb, not a problem. My OCZs are in 4 slots and touching with a lot of heat build up and this problem did look more like a memory problem. This seems to be a problem with all four slots filled and pairs are touching. On this Asus P4C800Edlx the Dimm Pairs are in slots 1&2 and 3&4 are touching with a small gap between 2&3. Today despite the fact I have a fan blowing directly at them the things are still getting almost to hot to keep a finger on them. Even adding an extra fan blowing right on to the mobo from below the opticle slots did not solve the problem. I ran Prime95 along with UD and after about 5 hours it crashed right when I touch the mouse before the login screen popped up (XP screen saver lock workstation). I relaxed the memory timings to SPD and reduced the voltage from 2.75 to 2.65. I did keep the overclock at 245FSB with vcore at 1.52 and so far no problem. I have the memory timming at stock and bios set to Turbo with the PAT turned on. What I have found is that my benchmark numbers changed, but overall score is about the same???

These are OCZ PC4000GOLD(ELGR) REV2
was 2.5-3-3-6
now 2.5-4-4-10

What I'm goind to do next is see if I can get the heat off these spreaders and to the exhaust. I've done some getto modds in the past and would like to do something a little more factory.
I have considered removing the spreaders but these things are just too nice (shiney).
I hate to add more fans, with 3 systems running it's starting to sound like a mainframe is running in here.
I am considering adding a sheet of aluminum or copper between the touching sticks to pull the heat into the airflow.

Pics-Pics-Pics www.mindspring.com/~alabamacajun/rigs.html

I'll post my invention pics when I come up with a solution.

I have 4 sticks of ram in my LGA rig right now. Two of them are TCCD and the others are pc4000 gold rev 2. They run so hot I can't touch the spreaders without some pain. Some boards simply run memory hotter than others....and I have no idea why

Steve, I like to keep circuits below 50-55C and so far I've succeeded with all the other components. Your engineers can probably give us the actual internal temperatures. The dies of these chips are about 4mm and burried inside plastic. These chips are not flipchip where the die is up against the spreader, they are on bottom near the boards. This is the same situation with MOSFETS the metal spreader tab is on the mobo and we are sinking the plastic package but at least it helps. The spreaders are roughly 13x3cm covering 8 chips each for 3900:128sq mm which is about 30 times more than the surface area of the chips. This means that the chips are a lot hotter than the spreaders, not 30 times but definitly on the order of 20-25 degs estimated. With that heat dissapation factor in mind, if the spreaders are 40-45C then the chips are 60-65C. High by my standards and almost above the operating temps for silicon. I'm looking to cool them down to the same range as my other components.

Back