• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dvs``

Registered
I'm going to be building a new system early September. I've picked out the following mobo and CPU for now:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D
AMD X2 4400+ (or, more likely, one of the cheaper models when they're released)

For RAM, I'm interested in these two:
OCZ Platinum Rev.2 PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5 - $250 CAD ($205 US)
OCZ Platinum PC4200 @ 2.5-3-3-8 - $312 CAD ($256 US)

Which one would be the better choice? I'm going to use this rig for some heavy gaming and multi-tasking, and of course overclocking.

If you can get some Redline UTT's that would be the best cause its a shame to get that mobo and not use all the Vdimm that it supports :D

I can order them, but they'll take quite some time to ship since they're not in stock. Same with OCZ VX. Would the wait (and price) be worth it? I mean, will there be a tangible performance difference between these and the OCZ Platinums?

OCZ Platinums will run with looser timings and high freq but Redlines will do tight timings with slightly lower freq, at the end these things even themselves out so they are about the same performance wise. Although tight timings are better for benchmarking and games.

Hmm... I guess I'll go with the Platinums for now. So: OCZ Platinum PC3200 or PC4200?

Back