• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg Refurb Items Suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XvDarkyvX

I just got my DFI Ultra-D today. Wow... They did something to the chipset, and stuck a piece of tape over it. With no heatsink fan at all. I called customer support and no help there. I was like uhhhh I'm pretty sure it's going to fry if there isn't a hsf on that. They're like uhh.. It's not guaranteed. So yeah. Firguring out what to do now. Motherboard sucks not their fault probably, customer support sucks. I'd at least expect the motherboard to come barebone, just the board. At least it should come with a friggin heatsink fan on the chipset. BTW, it deson't even include the audio module, so i can't even have onboard sound.

Attachments

• DSC03059.JPG
    DSC03059.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
In a circumstance like that, I'd call them up again and state this
"Hello, I just bought a refurb motherboard that I've been waiting on for a few days, now I get it, and find out its not going to work at all. Its missing a chipset heatsink which is VITAL to the board working at all. So now I'm I've got this non-functional board that if someone had just opened the box before shipping it, they would have easily have noticed this piece missing and knew it wouldn't work. I'm expecting that you at least cover the cost to ship it back, as this shouldn't have been shipped out in the 1st place."

Then wait, 99% of the customer service people at newegg will say they'll cover the shipping back(usually a charge back, I got my $6 shipping for a mobo back once). They might even offer you credit for use on a future purchase, which I've also received once. You just have to make sure to call them up after placing the order to get them to apply it.

Newegg will do just about anything to keep the customer happy, which is probably why even after the couple incidents I've had, there still my #1 place to shop

jason salinas contacted me, one of their reps because I posted on reseller ratings. I e-mailed him back waiting for a response. Yeah I'd return it if they don't charge that 15% restocking fee + shipping back.

XvDarkyvX said:
jason salinas contacted me, one of their reps because I posted on reseller ratings. I e-mailed him back waiting for a response. Yeah I'd return it if they don't charge that 15% restocking fee + shipping back.

IMHO, I do not believe for one second they were going to charge you a 15% restocking fee if you spoke to ANY of their phone reps. Did you call them? They have a 1-800 number.

You knew buying refurb has risks and your leaving them a bad rating shows you do not understand how to comprehend the risks of buying refurb.

Newegg is a good vendor and they have just about the best support there is for a vendor their size. Honestly, your rush to leave them a bad eval is totally undeserving. Why? Newegg will take the item back and at times they will pull a new item off the shelves and send that to you if the refurb is defective, if not they will gladly give you your money back within the 15 day warranty period.. I know PLENTY of people that bought items that were not up to snuff from the refurb section and I handle all vendor disputes here, I have never seen them charge a 15% restocking fee in a situation like the one you describe.

Great job in leaving them a bad eval, You really need to take a chill pill before you go pulling triggers and making hasty decisions, this is true with all things in life: (This statement details the risks even before your able to access the refurb section, and it is again written before you are allowed to finalize the order, so basically you saw this twice, ignored it, then recieved a bad product WHICH IS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL then went on your rant, rather than call them. )

Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

http://www.newegg.com/home/Clearance.asp?Type=Clearance

In your situation, I would avoid the refurb section in the future. For most people, they would call the vendor and work it out, rather than go on a rant and leave a bad resellerrating eval.Because if you took 1 minute out of your life, they would have given you your money back unconditionally, or replaced the product. Luckily for you, Newegg cares about it's customers, even the ones that go on rants and leave them a bad rating when it could have easily been sorted out.

they wouldn't waive a restocking fee & shipping for a defective item that shouldn't have been sold in the first place. rude customer service also. i paid for the motherboard at least I should get a working piece that's necessary to run it safely. I'm not like it runs crappy so i don't want it. I didn't even get the necessary item to run it. I paid for the product, so essentially, I should get one in running order. First glance it won't even run safely.

Don't tell me you wouldn't be mad if you paid the money, waited for shipping and didn't get what you expected. Then you call newegg up and the lady tells you the same thing rudely and there was no fee waivers to sending it back.

XvDarkyvX said:
they wouldn't waive a restocking fee & shipping for a defective item that shouldn't have been sold in the first place. rude customer service also. i paid for the motherboard at least I should get a working piece that's necessary to run it safely. I'm not like it runs crappy so i don't want it. I didn't even get the necessary item to run it. I paid for the product, so essentially, I should get one in running order. First glance it won't even run safely.
Don't tell me you wouldn't be mad if you paid the money, waited for shipping and didn't get what you expected. Then you call newegg up and the lady tells you the same thing and there was no fee waiver.

I don't believe they would not waive the restocking fee in the situation you describe the item came in, and it's normal for all vendors to expect the buyer to pay for return shipping. Sometimes Newegg will pay the shipping, but my guess is you were possibly rude to them in your conversation. And No I wouldnt be mad at them if the item came damaged if I bought it from the refurb section, THERE are risks and they tell you upfront/ As I said Newegg is a good vendor that always makes things right, even to those that leave them bad evals. But don't think they are helping you due to your comments at Resellerrating, they would help you regardless.

PS Newegg uses Fedex saver, which means the transit time is 3 days and probably a day to process if they were real busy, you didn't wait all that long. I hate to say it, but it seems you may be impatient, both in terms of waiting 4 days for the item, and impatient in terms of rectifying problems.

PSS, I handle vendor disputes and never in my life have I come across a rude Newegg rep.

You don't believe, but it happened. Think what you want. I was pretty nice to the person. I described the situation told them what I thought about it, and didn't do much to resolve anything. You may never have come across a rude Newegg rep, but it's just like my highschool. 4000 people. never saw some of the people there in my entire life. Just random. You might come across a rude one, or u might not.

XvDarkyvX said:
You don't believe, but it happened. Think what you want. I was pretty nice to the person. I described the situation told them what I thought about it, and didn't do much to resolve anything. You may never have come across a rude Newegg rep, but it's just like my highschool. 4000 people. never saw some of the people there in my entire life. Just random. You might come across a rude one, or u might not.

If newegg has a rude rep, I guarantee you they would fire them, especially with Neweggs IPO on the horizon. In the future, if this happens again, let me know before you leave a negative eval and I'll make sure it gets rectified.

The one time i bought from the refurb section, i had no problems whatsoever. The one time i got the wrong item, i got the right item sent out, while i was shipping the wrong one back to them. They apologized and sent the correct item 2nd day... i never pay extra for faster shipping. They are without a doubt the hardest working people in the industry as far as ensuring customer satisfaction. flying off the handle is no way to conduct one's self. there, here or anywhere. SSS keeps people here safe from being ripped off, and i'm sure spends enough time doing so for it to be counted a full time job. He knows what he's talking about.

Newegg's Customer Support was always very nice to me, if you happened to get a rude support person get their name down and contact the manager on duty. At least that is what I would do if it were me.

come on guys it's not like he has forced the company into recievership, what are these evals? are they displayed on the site, if so they probably edit them to look better anyway. Remember everyone in business is a lying cheating stealing scumbag, so nothing you do to them can be that far wrong.

I'd be pretty mad if this happened to me as well. Though, I'd never risk geyyign a refurb product i nthe first place Its not worth saving $15.

BTW: whats that arrow pointing to?

Last edited:
Wow this doesn't sound like newegg at all. However, it IS a refurb so they tend to have some defects in one way or another. I think I'll just get the same DFI board you got off monarch instead (i think it's $129 retail shipped).

why don't you call again and you will probably get a different rep that can take care of your problem..

The chipset wouldnt fry, its rated to run at 125c (read that somewhere), ive run plenty of boards without a chipset hs, mostly intels though, but since you got a good deal on a refurb why not just dish out an extra 10 bucks and get a better chipset cooler a nice copper one thats a step up from their crappy loud aluminum one. And about the audio module I would just contact dfi directly and just explain your situation to them, and give them the code off your mobo im sure theyd be glad to send you one

Thank you all for your comments. XvDarkyvx has every right to be upset over this situation, as it can be disappointing; however, there are a lot of risks with our refurbished section, just as there is when buying a used vehicle. Nevertheless, if you are not satisfied with it, you can return the item within 15 days. In some cases, I can make an exception and offer an RMA for up to 20 days. Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect (including Newegg). I have addressed the rudeness issue within our entire department and we will be sure to address this accordingly with all agents involved. Rudeness and lack of service or consideration for our customers is not tolerated at all.

Since this issue first emerged, I was not aware of the issue, as I don't get to read all threads right away (it is quicker to PM me). I hoped to have been contacted here first before finding out at Resellerratings.com, as I am here for you directly. In the end, we discussed the issue and we have resolved this issue accordingly and reasonably.

I have one request for all OCF members and any customer for that matter. That is to contact me directly either here, email, or by phone. I will be sure to listen to you and address the issue accordingly. Don't visit Resellerratings.com if you are upset. I'd rather help you first then see it posted there.

Thank you,
Jason, Newegg Customer Support

i agree completly as resellerratings.com should only be used when any purchase is finished,done and no going back has passed.

rudeness can be fixed by speaking to a supervisor.

it seems to me you was on the offensive from the get go and things got worse when you didnt get the responce you wanted.
sure many things were not as i would expext things to be handled,and the merchandise shouldnt have been sold.

but ive learned a few things around here.
suger is alot sweeter than spit.

i buy ocz products and shop newegg for the shear fact of customer support.
usually id call them directly first.
if im not happy id contact a forum contact.
if need be even further to company officials. trust me they read the threads also.
then in the end if i still wasnt satisfied id post a thread and resellerratings.

my way may take longer sometimes,but in the end the company and I both are happy.
not everything always goes smooth.but ive yet to see anyone walk away completly ****ed from either place after a deal.

Did anyone notice that his refurb is modded to SLI for him?!??! HAHAHA

I skimmed through, but don't feel like reading most of it b/c it seems repetitive (no offense to anyone... sry I just don't have 4 hours for it).

Dude, first of all, what did you pay? Secondly, you could buy the audio module from someone (perhaps me if you asked). Thirdly, you don't need much cooling on the chipset. It's a SOUTHBRIDGE pretty much. It doesn't get THAT hot. You can buy a generic one and it'll do the job. I also have an extra Vantec copper that would do better than the stock chipset fan.

Again, what did you pay? Btw, that arrow points at the SLI mod. I'm so surprised no one caught on this... or maybe I should have not skimmed so fast.

Back