• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OH NOS! Megahurtz brokened!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rashal

Registered
Even though I'm trying to take this in a calm manner, I'm realy much more worried than it seems.

I finally got all my parts yesterday, and the computer assembly + software installation was completed yesterday also. This is my rig:

MOBO: DFI LanParty UT nF4 ultra-D
CPU: Athlong 64bit 3200+ venice
RAM: Mushkin blackline pc3200 (2-2-2) (http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=15)
GPU: XFX GF 6600GT PCIE
HD: Hitachi deskstar 120Gb sata

I didnt tweek anything yet, mainly because I figured I should let the AS5 set in first. So, I run windows installation and everything on 2-3-6-2 2T latacy, and I fire up COD (the only game I had lying near me) with 2-2-5-2 1T latancy. All the rest of the ram settings were on auto.

The first time I encountered problems was during the secound mission loading in COD. After it finished loading the system stalled. When I rebooted, the windows loading crashed and the system got booted. Than it loaded windows without any problems and the game ran great without crashing.

I went to sleep and desided to fire up memtest86 this morning. Everything went smooth untill it got to test number 8. It recived ****loads of errors (around 3 thousand), and than it got even higher and finally the system stalled. I tried to lower the latancies to 2-3-6-2 2T, and it stalled at test 8 again. I tried putting everything on 'auto' setting (bootscreen showed: 2-3-6-2 1T), and it failed test 8 yet again with ****loads of errors.

Should I be worried? Or can a bios tweek help that? The mem cards are sitting in slots 2 and 4 BTW...

I got this lifetime warranty so I guess I can replace the cards since I didnt tweek them or anything. But the question is, should I?

Thanks for the help.

PS.

I'm running the test with GPU, HD, and cdburner installed. Both cards sitting in boths slots while I'm testing.

PPS,

I didnt update my mobo bios yet, do you guys think it might help?

Yes, before I read your last line, I was thinking flash bios to a newer revision so that it supports the CPU. Mushkin blackline would be what chips? TCC5 maybe not so sure.

Not realy sure about your question... I added a link to the official product page in my first post.

Yeah you should DEFINATELY ABSOLUTELY get the latest BIOS, thats one of the very first things you should do when building a new system.

I ran into all kinds of ridiculous problems w/ stock BIOS w/ my nF3 DFI, mainly cold boots and not having the ability to change ANYTHING in BIOS w/ out having it cold boot.

Anyway, get the latest BIOS at www.dfi.com and report back! BTW using their DIAMOND w/e BIOS tool is actually recommended by them and worked perfectly for me, so use that, it's very fast and easy.

Thanks for your help :)

I'm at work right now, so I'll be updating in about 7 hours (with some good news hopefully)...

Question,

There are all sorts of downloadable things for bios,

PCB Revision A
Date Code 2005/06/23
Description
1. Patch Dual-Core CPU performance problem.
2. Add Errata 123 option.
3. Add ACPI SRAT option.

PCB Revision A
Date Code 2005/03/10
Description
1. NVMM 4.85 and NV RAID 4.81.
2. Enhanced memory compatibility.
3. Enhanced USB compatibility.
4. Enhanced the support of Athlon 64 in version E3(Venice), E4(San Diego).

PCB Revision A
Date Code 2005/01/25
Initial release

Which ones should I download? (Or should I just download them all and start installing from the oldest date to the most recent?)

Just use the 6/23 BIOS. It will have all the impovements of the earlier versions.

rashal said:
CPU: Athlong 64bit 3200+ venice

Lmfao Athlong.. I have an Athlon 64".
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
Sorry I had to.

Anyways, yeah grab the latest BIOS version for your board. What voltage were you running your ram at. You might need up to 2.8v to get that stuff to run at those timings.

Heheh... Best typo I've ever had :p

Yeah I thought about upping the voltage as a last resort (but only as a last resort)... I ran the tests at 2.6v.

The JTC thingie, 500W. I dont remember too well, but I think it was 30A on 3.3, 50A on 5, and 20 on 12...

It seems to be holding well and I doubt it has any connection to the ram problems (in case you were implying on that)...

20A on the 12V LOL
That isn't even the bare minimum DFI is asking for.
You might think its working but trust me it isn't, it might work fine for about a month or two but it will die eventually and will probably kill one of your components.
I used a HEC 525W unit which by all reviews was excellent but it was only 22A on the 12V and after a month it died and killed my memory which was worth 2400NIS at the time. Do you really want to take that chance?
Grab a HEC WIN 580W from zigzag2000.co.il.
Also bump the memory voltage to 2.8, don't worry it will do no harm.

Actually DFI recommends 18A on an athlon 3400+ with 6600GTs in SLI... Far less than what I've got. I'm not sure about overclocking, but when time will come and I will deside to overclock, I'll definatly get a new PSU

Ok I have some good news!

I updated bios and everything ran smooth at 2-2-5-2 2T timings... 1T had some problems so I upped the voltage to 2.8, and everything is working great on 1T now. I'm hoping to lower the voltage to at least 2.7 after optimizing bios settings...

Thanks for all the help :)

PS.

Now installing doom 3, listening to music, and serfing the net and the CPU is only at 5% load, woot (after years with the 800mhz that's just unbelivable)! CPU temps: 35 idle, 40-41 full load... I guess the AS5 needs some more time to settle in.

rashal said:
Actually DFI recommends 18A on an athlon 3400+ with 6600GTs in SLI... Far less than what I've got. I'm not sure about overclocking, but when time will come and I will deside to overclock, I'll definatly get a new PSU

Ok I have some good news!

I updated bios and everything ran smooth at 2-2-5-2 2T timings... 1T had some problems so I upped the voltage to 2.8, and everything is working great on 1T now. I'm hoping to lower the voltage to at least 2.7 after optimizing bios settings...

Thanks for all the help :)

PS.

Now installing doom 3, listening to music, and serfing the net and the CPU is only at 5% load, woot (after years with the 800mhz that's just unbelivable)! CPU temps: 35 idle, 40-41 full load... I guess the AS5 needs some more time to settle in.

:bang head
Alright, instead of learning from others you will have to learn this on your own.
Last piece of advice I can give you is to go here and read, read and do some more reading. God speed and remember we are all here to help you.

Flip-Mode said:
:bang head
Alright, instead of learning from others you will have to learn this on your own.
Last piece of advice I can give you is to go here and read, read and do some more reading. God speed and remember we are all here to help you.

I know I should get a better PSU (especially since mine is 20pin, meaning that the contact thingie that is holding the cable to the mobo isnt realy secure :\), but I just dont have the feeling I need one ASAP, especially since I'm not overclocking at the moment.

I have one HD (120 sata), a CD I seldom use, no PCI cards installed, and no floppy.

I'll be on the lookout for good PSUs around my workplace. I found a high quality industrial standard 300w HP PSU just half a week ago. I know it's underpowered, but I guess it is just a matter of time till I get my hands on a high quality 500W PSU (industrial stuff).

If I wont, I'll probably buy a PSU from zigzag in half a month or so... I'm not waving your advices, I'm considering them seriously while checking if they fit my financial status...

PS.

Last night I installed doom 3 at around 23:00... I set it to my 17" LCD's native resolution, details on ultra high, and AA to x4... It was the most amazing gaming experiance I ever had (keep in mind that I was on a GF2 mx 32mb for 5 years, it only supports DX7)... I never imagined the graphics were so amazing, the screenshots couldnt compare.

But the best thing is, that it all ran smooth (the only FPS I got was when I opened certain door which led to new areas, and that lasted about 0.5 sec)! The game became boring after about 2 min into the action though :\ Let the gaming begin!

Back