• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best overclocking memory OCZ has to offer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The "best" has got to be their latest release, PC-4800 Platinum Elite, they brought TCCD back into their lineup. The "best" low latency stuff right now has got to be PC-4000 Gold VX.

That's just my opinion of course.

Max I can do is DDR400. Im guessing the Gold series is the good stuff?

I'm only running a 420W PSU. Everything is at stock voltages. Will I be able to use the GoldVX stuff at 3.2V?

Last edited:
V10Ace said:
Max I can do is DDR400. Im guessing the Gold series is the good stuff?

Go with some nice OCZ Platinum Revision 2 PC-3200. They are cheap, run low voltage, low latency and also can clock very high if needed (future upgrade). I know Shafted was selling a good set in the classifieds for $155, awsome deal.

They are also based on the popular TCC5 IC's.

Thank you! How much can I regularly find Plat Revision for if I can't get a hold of it for $155? I'm kind of on a budget $150 being max and $166 like the first stuff I selected giving me a reach around.

V10Ace said:
Thank you! How much can I regularly find Plat Revision if I can't get a hold of it for $155? I'm kind of on a budget $150 being max and $166 like the first stuff I selected giving me a reach around.

They can be had new for ~$170. Sometimes less depending on rebates/where you look.

I only mention them because they don't need high voltage to hit that 2-2-2-5 (that's their rating). But if you upgrade in the future typically they're good for ~270HTT @ 2.5-3-3-* low voltage. Sometimes even better than that.

Worth bumping your budget up a few bucks in my opinion. Otherwise go with the cheapest DDR400 low latency you can find if you don't plan on overclocking it, and are budget minded.

Sucka said:
They can be had new for ~$170. Sometimes less depending on rebates/where you look.

I only mention them because they don't need high voltage to hit that 2-2-2-5 (that's their rating). But if you upgrade in the future typically they're good for ~270HTT @ 2.5-3-3-* low voltage. Sometimes even better than that.

Worth bumping your budget up a few bucks in my opinion. Otherwise go with the cheapest DDR400 low latency you can find if you don't plan on overclocking it, and are budget minded.

I don't plan on overclocking the memory to the extreme. I'm looking at either Corsair or OCZ. Is the XMS series any good as far as Corsair is concerned?

Again, I thank you for your help.

OCZ is top notch, you get what you pay for. They have reps on these forums that can answer questions and field concerns. Their warranty is unrivaled, their products are great, you just can't go wrong.

I realize you don't plan to overclock them right now, but isn't ~20 bucks worth future proofing? If your budget is ~150 and you can grab these for ~165 wouldn't you be glad that you had good memory that was future proof? When i see people on a budget i always try to pick things that are going to last a long time, and provide the best performance for the price.

$171.28 shipped to my door from Newegg. Looks like next week I'm ordering it due to insufficient funds at the moment.

Thank you for your help!

Back