• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory questions for a Venice and a DFI SLi-DR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EZ-Spidey

I have a few probably noobish questions concerning
choosing RAM for an oceed AMD64 setup.

I have a DFI SLi-DR mobo and a Venice 3200+ chip
and plan to get 4 sticks of 512MB.

Is there a performance difference beetween getting
some PC3200 that do, say 250+ and some PC4000?

Which path would you recommand?

The real issue is whether or not the mem controller on your cpu can handle four sticks of ram. It doesn't really matter what the number on the ram is. The only thing to consider is how much you "know" the ram will reach regarding fsb. That and the ability of the mem controller to run 4 sticks are the only things you really need to consider.

There would be no performance difference between sticks rated at 250 vs sticks that are not but can safely run those speeds. One thing to think about are the timings the memory can run at. Memory running at 2-2-2-5 timings would be considerably faster than memory running at 2.5-3-3-5 if both were at 250fsb.

Thanks for the input.

I looked around and asked here about using 4 memory
sticks.

I've been told that issue was solved with the Venice
and the San Diego cores.

Why not go with 2 1 GB sticks with dual channel, i believe the board in question only supports 2 dual channel slots.

EZ-Spidey said:
Thanks for the input.

I looked around and asked here about using 4 memory
sticks.

I've been told that issue was solved with the Venice
and the San Diego cores.

Solved? I wish.... you still have to run 2T to use 4 sticks of double sided ram. Some people have had very good result with that setup however it will take some tweaking to get the memory to it's fullest.

Back