• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a reccomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

My DFI LP 875pro rev A won't POST anymore, I think because I fried something :cry: So while I try a resurection, I'm also gonna look for a replacement board. I want a board that:

*875P or 865PE chipset
*Overclocks well with TCCD and Micron mT -5b chips
*A little more flexable voltage options than my dead DFI. The vcore was good (+.35 but in .05 incraments), but the vagp (1.6 max) and vdimm (2.7 max) were constricting.
*Plenty of room for a 3rd party CPU cooler
*IDE RAID would be nice but not required

Links to reliable e-tailers welcome, but no links to this site For Sale section, I got myself banned from there :bang head

Man those are a bit expensive. Darn Intel for shoving the 9xx chipsets down the throats of motherboard manufacturers.

I might as well sell my 2.4C (and maybe my 9700 pro) and go A64 if it costs that much.

disk11 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484R ?

Edit: Is it for the best to stick with Asus and Abit for P4s, or are there other alternatives out there?

Well if these are the features you're looking for:

" *875P or 865PE chipset
*Overclocks well with TCCD and Micron mT -5b chips
*A little more flexable voltage options than my dead DFI. The vcore was good (+.35 but in .05 incraments), but the vagp (1.6 max) and vdimm (2.7 max) were constricting.
*Plenty of room for a 3rd party CPU cooler
*IDE RAID would be nice but not required "

There's not really any other alternatives out there that match these requirements.

In my searching, the best new options where the Abit AI7 (~$100), Epox 4PDA3I (~$70, nice looking bios options but I can't find any reviews/user feedback on this anywhere), and Abit IS7-E2 (~$70). Any suggestions?

If not the two Nebulous suggested, then go for the asus p4p800se $90. Which cpu will you be using and how much overclocking do you plan to do?

I have a 2.4C SL6WF malay and I plan on getting a XP-90, maybe a C if I can find a deal on one, and I could use a fan reccomendation, preferably a high speed one with a built in temp moniter so its not screaming all the time. And I hope to overclock as far as my TCCD will take me 1:1 or maybe 5:4 depending on what the CPU can do.

Wouldn't an AI7 be better than the P4P800SE for just $10 more?

disk11 said:
Wouldn't an AI7 be better than the P4P800SE for just $10 more?

Personally I don't think so, first the xp-90 won't work with the AI7 and if you want to overclock or upgrade your cpu later, as in presscott you may have some issues with the fets that power the socket.

Grande Juan said:
Personally I don't think so, first the xp-90 won't work with the AI7 and if you want to overclock or upgrade your cpu later, as in presscott you may have some issues with the fets that power the socket.

Dang, should've read the Thermalright site better.

Well my decision got easier and harder in the same instant. Mwave has the IC7 for $49, IC7-G for $55, and the IS7 for $65 before shipping in their refurb section. Now I'm stumped again.

You could try an Asus P4P800se or dlx board that should do well for you and they are only about $100. Also check the classifieds you see all manner of s478 boards going for cheap in there.

I've got a loan check comming in next week and want to get prepared to buy something very soon. In some looking around I have found in the cheap section:

Abit IS7-G(refurb)
Asus P4P800SE (refurb)
Epox 4PDA3I (new)

I'm also reconsidering the Abit AI7 but will need a good heatsink reccomendation that uses a 92mm fan or getting an Epox 4PDA3+ from the Epox store if the site ever comes up. Still open to sugggestions for sites or other motherboards to consider.

disk11 said:
Are there any other companies worth going with? IE Epox?

No, abit or asus only.

You can find AI7s for $50, as well as P4P800s.

Check dumpinggoods.com and the newegg refurbs.

Maybe consider an IS7 if you want to go cheap.

Also, maybe its time to get an LGA MB and a new CPU.

I don't have enough to get a new 775 board and processor, I'd have to sell off a lot of stuff and I don't want to deal with that now. I think the 2.4C oced should hold me over until I really need an upgrade.

Didn't you use TCCD ram with an Intel setup? How did that work out?

Back