• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ or PQI for me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShauNotDeaD

Registered
I know OCZ is supposed to be great stuff but I've never built a computer so I have no bias. Can someone tell me which of these is my best bet? Please don't tell me that OCZ is always the best :bang head ; gimme some facts or some problems that others have had or something. Basically, I'm looking at what seems to be some decent PQI RAM and some budget OCZ RAM. Am I wrong? I'm basically looking to do a little OCing cause it's my first time, but not push it so hard it's unstable or anything. So I'm currently leaning toward the PQI since it has slightly better timings. What do you think?

:shrug:

My setup:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...Y&ID=1605268&WishListTitle=ShauN's+Gamer+v1.2
Basically, Antec SONATA II, ASUS A8V-E Deluxe (S939), PNY GeForce 6600GT (128MB) PCIe, Athlon 64 3200+ Venice.

OCZ Value Series:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227213

PQI Turbo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141154

Thanks guys,
ShauN

P.S. This is my second post, woohooo, I love these forums.

normally i would advise to be wary of value ram, but that OCZ looks like good stuff. The listed timings are slightly better for the pqi, but take a look at the reviews for the OCZ. 2-2-2-6 on value ram?? Definitely worth a shot.

I'd go with the OCZ. You'll have a warrenty up to 3.1v when you're overclocking. OCZ tech support is supposed to be REALLY good, especially with OCZSteve on the forums. I mean, any other company cant really match their customer service when have an OCZ employee roaming the forums looking to help people with their own products and some that are even OCZ's competitors. I have yet to own an OCZ product, but it will most likely be my next choice.

The OCZ stuff looks really nice, 2-2-2 timings on 200MHz is excellent. You can OC just you CPU and keep the memory at 200 with these timings and you will get the same performance as if you bought DDR500 RAM with 2.5-4-4 timings.
If you want go here and read about A64 and memory dividers.
Remember that with OCZ you get not only top notch RAM but you get the best support out there, Steve is lurking these forums right here and other OCZ reps will be more then glad to help you.
OCZ all the way.

The OCZ ram you're looking at there is based on BH-UTT chips. With some added voltage they can push 230FSB with 2-2-2 timings in many cases. This is IMO more than enough for the amount of overclocking you said you wanted to do.

Thanks guys

Well like I said I'm new to these forums and really appreciate the input. I decided to go with the OCZ thanks to you guys. Unfortunately, I placed my order with the PQI and it was processed by this morning when I called newegg 15 minutes ago right when they opened. But wait, lemme tell you how that experience was. They said I could basically void the whole order and wait 2-3 days for a refund on it (meaning wait 2-3 days to reorder the whole system :bang head ) or I could order the OCZ ram separately, and RMA the PQI when I get it. Even better, they'll wave the restocking fee on the PQI, and all I lose is about $4 shipping for my stupidity. Wow, after all the horrible things I've heard about places like Overstock.com, I'm amazed Newegg.com is so awesome... no wonder they always have 5 star reviews! :p

And just to clarify I should definitely send the PQI back so it doesn't slow my OC rig down with its sub-par overclocking... in other words, there's no point in keeping the 2 GB combo as it will be a weakest chain link situation, right?

Thanks mucho,
ShauN

ShauNotDeaD said:
Well like I said I'm new to these forums and really appreciate the input. I decided to go with the OCZ thanks to you guys. Unfortunately, I placed my order with the PQI and it was processed by this morning when I called newegg 15 minutes ago right when they opened. But wait, lemme tell you how that experience was. They said I could basically void the whole order and wait 2-3 days for a refund on it (meaning wait 2-3 days to reorder the whole system :bang head ) or I could order the OCZ ram separately, and RMA the PQI when I get it. Even better, they'll wave the restocking fee on the PQI, and all I lose is about $4 shipping for my stupidity. Wow, after all the horrible things I've heard about places like Overstock.com, I'm amazed Newegg.com is so awesome... no wonder they always have 5 star reviews! :p

And just to clarify I should definitely send the PQI back so it doesn't slow my OC rig down with its sub-par overclocking... in other words, there's no point in keeping the 2 GB combo as it will be a weakest chain link situation, right?

Thanks mucho,
ShauN
Depending on how far into OCing you plan on getting I recommend changing your MB to something with >2.8 vdimm options. You can get a DFI DAGF for like 90 bucks.

I also agree the OCZ will be better than the PQI.

Spent $7 more on OCZ performance ram w/ "heatsink", and U are sure to get some decent OCing. Also Epox mobo gives u super OC and is about $107. It is NF4 and Anandtech has this and DFI the top performance on Overclocking, but DFI costs $30 more. The DFI Dagf, is good but not as good as DFI Landparty.
You can also use MSI on sale for $86 at newegg which is also good bd.
Asus does not give u good AMD OCing, but does good w/ intel
Below is a link to OCZ performance ram, MSI mobo, and EpoxEP-9NPA Ultera

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227031
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123236

OCZ hands down. PQI isn't the best RAM company. OCZ has AWESOME support and products. one of the best to buy IMO. my friends OCZ plat rev 2's are better than my current PQI. both are TCCD but his runs 225 FSB on my board with tighter timings and same voltage.

ShauNotDeaD said:

Thanks mucho,
ShauN

:welcome: to the Forum! (Everyone forgot)
Yes, return the PQI. I have PQI tccd, it is okay, but far from stellar. I can only wish I had gotten OCZ. Also, post your specs in your signature so we know what you are working with. This is really important when buying ram, as some mobos have more vdimm options than others. Good luck with the OCZ.

=AG= Devilhorse said:
Well I will have to speak up for PQI. Don't get me wrong OCZ is good stuff. I have a friend that has it in his system and it does fine. I am running PQI Turbo. Although a differnet type than what you picked out and I am running 2-2-2-5 and can turn the FSB up to about 255. I usually leave it around 240 for everday use.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141148
Yes, a lot of people have had great success with the pqi turbo pc3200. Those seem to be the best they make.

I have enjoyed it. I am trying to decide if I want another gig of it now. Its a bit pricey but I play battlefield 2 and its a memory hog.

Back