• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

furiousfords89

after a long time of suffering with 512mb of ram im finally getting another gig :santa: , but i have a rather noobish question. im using 2 256mb sticks of pc3200 kingston hyperx ram, im planning on getting a gig of crucial value select ( 2x512mb) .
Everything will be compatible right? also does this mean i have to reset my current ram's settings back to stock timings in order for everything to match up?
thanks, and ill be ordering in within an hour :)

I just did the exact same thing, except instead of getting crucial I went with the OCZ which was the same price for a 1 gig of the stuff as my original 512. Anyway you'll probably have to run them at the slower timings of the two sets. But if you give it enough voltage, you could probably get them both to run at tight timings.

cool, and voltage doesnt make a difference right? my kingston ram runs at 2.625 volts while the corsair runs at 2.5 volts, does this mean i have to raise the voltage of the corsair up to 2.6 for everything to work? i wont be doing any major overclocking btw...maybe ill slightly tweak the timings by 1 or 2 clocks at most

edit: can i please get a reply, i need to order this asap :)

Last edited:
Yeah you can increase the voltage to 2.6 that wouldn't damage anything. And you can tweak your timings as well. you'll just have to play around and find something that's stable for all 4 sticks. Use memtest to get an idea of stability.
A lot of it is trial and error because every stick is different. You just have to figure out what works best for you.
But setting the voltage to 2.6 or even higher won't hurt anything.

thanx for the help, now i can finally play bf2 without falling asleep everytime a new map loads :p

furiousfords89 said:
thanx for the help, now i can finally play bf2 without falling asleep everytime a new map loads :p

Sorry to break it to you but system memory does little of anything to level loading in games, HD's speed loading up.

There are no guarantees that the two different ram chips will work together. I have done this and it works great, but I have also had problems where the two differen t rams were just not conpatable on the same board. As a rule, it's bad practice to mix ram brands and chips, but with some luck you will hopefully be all right.

Back