• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my ram cooling concept.advice in presenting it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i dont know what to do with this idea actually.
and i have a pic,and i have a certain company id like to show it too,even tho its a photo shop and not an actual piece of work.

could i build it? yeh mabey.i even may,as i have a dremel but i could make a crude one.

im not looking to make $$$ so i dont want to invest big amounts of $$$ into it.i just dont want to pop the idea out here and have it used and im like WTF? yes i feel its that good.

what do i do?

I wouldn't sell yourself short on this man..even if it isn't as great as you think it is, I'd still get a temporary patent or something on it and try to make one. You never know how big it could get, and passing on potential money, just so some other already rich, big company could make more.. well..I wouldn't do it. If you really don't need any more money, you could always donate it or something..instead of giving it to a money hungry company. Or hell, you can donate it to fellow Ocforumers like me :D

Gessfk said:
I wouldn't sell yourself short on this man..even if it isn't as great as you think it is, I'd still get a temporary patent or something on it and try to make one. You never know how big it could get, and passing on potential money, just so some other already rich, big company could make more.. well..I wouldn't do it. If you really don't need any more money, you could always donate it or something..instead of giving it to a money hungry company. Or hell, you can donate it to fellow Ocforumers like me :D

i dont think it will revoultionize memory cooling but would be a rather big hit.
i think i may try and get the meterial and attempt a prototype.

i still dont know where to go from there tho.
reason i say its not about the money as im no business man,nor do i care to be.but who couldnt use a few extra bucks huh? :)

so basically you say i should'nt just approach the company in question with the idea?

If you're serious about this, ask Cathar. He's got some experience on that road, and I bet he could point out a few potholes.

Otter said:
If you're serious about this, ask Cathar. He's got some experience on that road, and I bet he could point out a few potholes.
very true.
it even crossed my mind about talking to him.
differant from him i have no desire to build and sell these like he did at first and later leased or what ever he did with his designs to other makers for mass production.

but yeh i think ill get in touch with him.

kills me not just posting it and discussing it tho.hell may even be a patent out already for it.
but i do guarentee it would easily cool dimms running 3.6v easily.

any idea where i can purchase copper sheets? and locally like lowes or home depot? im bored so will give me a weekend project?

ok ive done a few things on this.

first a did a rather impressive but not perfect photoshop pic of the cooling.
i sent a pm to cather asking where to head with this.
i also talked to another business indvidual at another forum i use and he highley suggests a patent,and prototype.
i also contatced a patent/inventors helpline. they do most the paperwork stuff just for people like me and i do the thinking and designing.if any profits were to ever come im sure they would get a nice cut.
tbh i dont care.as i said i not concerned with the $$ but getting this out and not being ripped off.

i should here from the patent helpline in 7 days.

deathstar13 said:
any idea where i can purchase copper sheets? and locally like lowes or home depot? im bored so will give me a weekend project?

Copper sheets a commonly used for chimney flashing, Ect.. I'm not sure if Lowe's would have them, but there has to be some local contractor supplier around you could get them from.

I would keep copies of any emails, and correspondences you have, to avoid having someone steal your idea

One thing that you might want to do is put a copy of your design and any relevant p/w in an envelope and mail it to yourself.

Sounds dumb, but from what I've read about patents, the postmark gives you proof that you had this idea before the date of the postmark. This can be crucial evidence if your idea gets ripped off, and costs nothing but a stamp.

Hey! Here's a good article on how to do exactly what you're talking about!

5 Steps from Idea to Product

It says my first idea was wrong, but gives another idea on how to do the same type of thing to verify your original idea.

ill look into te chimney flashing and see if i can find anything locally.
Blooz1- i contacted this place on line wich should document it for me.
http://www.inventorshelpline.info/emailOffer?source=RS_GOOGLE_1
not sure its the best route but i dont want to invest much money and time doing this as its not a way to gain funds,but just trying to not get my idea stolen or used.
they say they will contact me within 7 days.

one problem so far is once a prototype is made ill have to ask a fellow member here to borrow or buy if need be a cheap stick of utt ram.i only own tcc5 wich doesnt get all that hot but even still i dont want to rip the spreaders off and kill the warrenty.

your link does have a another link to search for related patents so im goona skim threw it and see if anyone has anything similier.

I'll trade you my BH-5 for the tcc5 temporarily (until you have it working).

CJ

CJ4 said:
I'll trade you my BH-5 for the tcc5 temporarily (until you have it working).

CJ
ty for the offer. im doubting i will try building this.parts arent sufficient enough for me at this time.

actually i think ill just post it.what the hell,i dont care.
the patent place whats way more info than i feel like describing in detail.
i can post of pic and you guys will understand it perfectly.

so without further aduo...

ill describe it a bit.
no thermal pads will need be used but silicone or ceramic compound instead.
2 recessed screws that would be anodized create ennough pressure to engage all ics and hold the cooler in place on the stick.
of course you can see a copper heatpipe wich would be silver soldered in place for max contact.
aluminum fins on the pipe and all encased inside the metal casing.

an optional side duct can be added for top blowing fans. or fans can be used horizontaly.

if someone is interested in building it lmk and ill help with details.
if your a company and want to use it.pls be nice and dont bend me over :)

Last edited:
Flip-Mode said:
Very good idea, good work. I hope this leads somewhere.
There would be some clearance issues with some CPU heat sinks.
i like the idea and would need refined with testing.
i dont have heatpipes and have no clue where i could find bare ones.or i could build this myself.

i did have an old heatpipe heatsink and i took it apart today with the idea of useing the pipes.but they were soldered in and one broke while attempting removing it.was just copper looking shavings in it.no wonder it sucked as a cpu sink :)
would have made the design look bad performance wise anyhow had i used it.

i use a typhoon almost the largest heatsink made and i could still use all 3 slots on my mobo.
id like to see what the ocz or muskin guys have to say about it.

even tho i cant test it,just looking at it seems it would be much better than anything on the market today and be cheap at that.plus not overly complicated nor bulky.

kukyfrope said:
Well, it looks pretty sweet :)
ty but ideas seem about useless,if it isnt made and prooven.
but wouldnt anyone agree this would work much ,much better than anything around? im not talking about the h20 and other exotic cooling thats very impracticle to most people.

for once i have a good idea and its destined to die :(

Even without the heatpipe, a finned memory heatsink would work much better than the current spreaders. It would also be much easier to make. You might start with that.

Find out whether or not the copper you use is pure of if it's an alloy. Even tiny amounts of other elements can dramatically lower copper's thermal conductivity.

I like your idea. It really wouldn't be that difficult to build, and is definately worth a try. I have access to a machine shop,(I'm a toolmaker, and fabricator). Have already made a heatpipe inspired by an article in an old issue of MaximumPC...the only thing I lack is the time :( working two jobs right now.
But we know someone will pick up the ball, and run with.

Bhugarov said:
I like your idea. It really wouldn't be that difficult to build, and is definately worth a try. I have access to a machine shop,(I'm a toolmaker, and fabricator). Have already made a heatpipe inspired by an article in an old issue of MaximumPC...the only thing I lack is the time :( working two jobs right now.
But we know someone will pick up the ball, and run with.
if i could get the heatpipe i could make it.
i know not to use alloys also that would affect performance.it would be crucial the caseing be made of pure copper due to the fact its what takes the heat from the ic's to the heatpipe.
the top is just protection only.
the whole caseing would be made from 1 single sheet of copper and then formed from there.
sure a spreader like this with just fins could be made but wouldnt be as effective and would require much more machining and wouldnt be able to be made out of a sheet.i picked this route to cut down costs.

ive sent a pm and a post to a well known certain company here and at thier forums.i havent heard back from them but the fact they havent answered anything is promising imo.means its being showed around or looked at.

as i said i dont care about money i just didnt want it swiped and used without my permission or input.

Bhugarov- if you could get a heatpipe i could use i could do the rest.id even pay for it.i just have no clue how or where to get one thats bare like i need it.mabey ill look at ebay for some laptop cpu coolers as they are almost what i need.

Re: Heatpipe

I will try to find an article for you that shows you how to build a heatpipe (it's for a CPU block, but the same concept).
The copper tubing is easy to bend, and readily available at any good hardware store or home center. You can fill it with fine sand to avoid crimping it, or better yet get a small tubing bender set from K&S at a hobby shop. It's just a set of very flexible springs that you slide over the tubing to prevent kinks...been using it for many years for modeling etc.
You then need to fill it with distilled water, and bleed all air out through a valve.
The fins will be the most time consuming part because copper is so maleable and tends to burr, and kink very easily. If you make a simple jig, you could probably make them at home with limited tools. The idea is to make them a little over-sized and put one or two hole in them to allow for fixturing, and stacking a few at a time. Then you can do the actual holes to pass the pipe thru, and make another jig to hold the pipe, and align the fins as you slide them on to solder them one at a time.When the fins are all punced-out you can re-size them. When I get time I will try to whip up sketch and PM you. :cool:

Back